Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 Nova with a 350, .030 over, with stock 1972 194/150 heads (1972 heads cast # 3973493; I believe I am around 9:1 compression), that had a 3 angel valve job and better than stock springs installed. I am running a Comp 270 cam (.470 lift on I\E, .224 \E at .050), an Edelbrock performer manifold, stock exhaust manifolds with duel 2 inch exhaust, an MSD HEI distributor, and an Edelbrock (carter AFB style) carb, manual choke and 600CFM. I also have a 700R4 trans and 3.42 gears in the back.

Some years ago when I thought I wanted to upgrade the heads, I bought an Edelbrock Performer RPM airgap manifold, which is polished aluminum (chrome finish). I would like to know if I swapped out the Performer manifold for the Performer RPM airgap, if I would lose any low end torque? In short, I like how my car runs, but I also like the RPM Airgap look and am debating installing it, but not at the cost of losing low end torque. Thank you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 72 Nova with a 350, .030 over, with stock 1972 194/150 heads (1972 heads cast # 3973493; I believe I am around 9:1 compression), that had a 3 angel valve job and better than stock springs installed. I am running a Comp 270 cam (.470 lift on I\E, .224 \E at .050), an Edelbrock performer manifold, stock exhaust manifolds with duel 2 inch exhaust, an MSD HEI distributor, and an Edelbrock (carter AFB style) carb, manual choke and 600CFM. I also have a 700R4 trans and 3.42 gears in the back.

Some years ago when I thought I wanted to upgrade the heads, I bought an Edelbrock Performer RPM airgap manifold, which is polished aluminum (chrome finish). I would like to know if I swapped out the Performer manifold for the Performer RPM airgap, if I would lose any low end torque? In short, I like how my car runs, but I also like the RPM Airgap look and am debating installing it, but not at the cost of losing low end torque. Thank you!
That cam is gonna suck more low end torque out of that engine than the manifold will.
In short, no, you're fine.
The RPM should fatten up the mid range a bit, that's all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts