Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that winter has set in, what projects have you started?

I have completed two engines build ups (383 SBC and 360 SBM), one engine bay refurb (65 Malibu SS), going to start another engine rebuild/bay refurb (71 Chevelle SS454) and finish modifying my sons 63 C-10 truck (new suspenssion). Yea, it has been busy here for sure! :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased a 72' Chevy C-10, A/C, P/S, disc brakes, a few months back and as soon as i get done taking care of the purchase price im going to start in on the floors, rockers, cab corners, and floor braces. When thats done im going to make it my daily driver. Probably throw a 600cfm holley, a performer ESP intake, an HEI, a mild cam, some headers, and a 2 1/4" exaust on it. Then ill rebuild the front end, put all new body mount bushings on it, rebuild the bed, sand it all down, primer it black, and lower it.... of course this is about a 3 year plan..... My Nova's in storage though and all i need to do with it is get some decent door panels and maybe do a stero system but that crap can all wait.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a few things. I am doing a complete fuel system overhaul. Sticking with a mechanical pump but adding a regulator. Switching out the blue and red fittings to Mr. Gaskets titanium colored ones. Switching out my blue fuel line to natural aluminum with braided pieces. Just finished porting and polishing the Dart intake and with my new Christmas present, a drill press, I finally drilled a hole to get full manifold vacuum to a PCV valve. Cleaned the intake and reinstalled it just this weekend. Along with that I dropped in a brand new MSD pro billet distributor. Can't wait to fire this thing up!:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 63 is finally down off jackstands and on all fours - which translates to: front and rear suspensions are pretty much finished. TCI coil-spring front clip and 4 bar coil-over 9" rear. As far as winter projects go, I've added soundeadner and reinstalled the firewall padding and the refurbished heater box. Now moving on to running the new EZ wiring harness that I bought last month. I'd also like to buy the new wheels and tires and get them installed. Currently, I'm borrowing a set from a friend who needs them back come springtime.

·
Registered
457 Posts
finnaly got the roll cage in the 67 nova as soon as it warms alittle i have to paint the cage and floor pans with pors 15 and then get the carpet and seats back in.been working on my 66 chevelle tubbing it maybe it will be done in time to race this summer.this has been along projeck with many set backs

·
Registered
938 Posts
Doing the main body panel replacement on my 72 since I have it stripped to a hollow shell. Next will be the door shells. Then I'll start on the suspension. I'll get to the engine and drive terrain as finances permit, but first thing is first I nice roller body to start bolting things onto. Should be about done with that by the end of next winter! :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finished my sons C-10 supenssion, the '65 Mallibu and I gained two more engine projects!!! Pluggin' away!!! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't have quite a task as many here. I'm just about finished my electric fan installation (Taurus 2 speed). I'm expecting good results in terms of cooling as I know of a few others who have done the same conversion. Other than that, just waiting for spring now!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here is part of my winter projects,

I'd figure I post this for discussion, possible future use by others etc.
I was running hot this summer, particulary in stop and go traffic. I had a 3 core brass/copper radiator. So I figured that it was time for a new setup.
I wanted to use electric fans so that I did not use engine power to cool the radiator and also in traffic an electric would be running full boar even though the engine might be ideling. So I did research on fans, particulary on cmf and thickness of the fan.
To start with after the big block swap with a long water pump I had about 2.75" between the front of the fan and the radiator. I had the small block fan shroud adjusted to center on the fan (since engine was now about 1" toward the passenger side)

After doing research I was leaning toward the SPAL Dual 11" 1400 cfm fans setup which comes with its own shroud and has a max thickness of 2.5". So I made a mock up of the new summit radiator and fans. As you can see below it would clear the nose of the waterpump but the one fan motor has the potential of hitting the power steering shaft.

I got the summit radiator and come to find out they misrepresented the size of the core. (I even called their tech line to verify its width, they said it was 24.5" which would have given me 1" wiggle room ended up being 22.5 Doah!!!)
So I went to plan B two spal 11" hi prof fans cfm same as the one that came with the shroud. Luckily SPAL has their tech drawing and specification posted on the web so I was able to make a full scale drawing to layout the two fans and they fit if I place one high and one low.
I also made up some mounting brackets out of brass to mount them in their proper locations. See large printout with fan layout and brackets:
(red circle location of wp nose)

The brackets turned out nice, I polished them up.

My plans at this point, (once the fans are delivered and I can verify that they match my drawing) I plan on painting the radiator black so it doesn't stickout when looking at it from the front.
I am debating on nickel plating the brass so that they will stay shiny. The reason that I chose brass is that I was able to drill and tap a brass bolt in from the back and place it flush with the back (I cut off the bolt head and silver soldered it in place). I only have .25 clearance from the water pump and I could not afford having the brackets stick out. I plan on putting a thin coating of silicone in the back of the brackets to prevent them from rubbing on the radiator core.

The other item on the to do list is that I am looking at doing a hydroboost conversion because of the low vac signal at idle with my cam. I just haven't had a chance to hit the salvage yards yet and find an Astro van.
Tom

·
Registered
151 Posts
- Switching to a XR282 solid flat tappet camshaft
- Fixing an oil leak on the Mr Gasket (junk) front timing cover
- Upgrading the 950 Commander MPFI to a wide band

- Beating the snot out of it on the drag stip...come May in Seattle.

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well let's see,, my winter project for the 64 Chevy II.... The new motor wouldn't be done before the first points race of the season, so I built a backup 434 from pieces I wouldn't be using in the new combination. Riped the stock front chassis off and put an AJE strut / tube chassis under the front. Like everything that is a 'bolt on' I've spent 2 months fabbing stuff to support the 'bolt on' front clip. The 'backup motor is in place and running, the car went down on all 4's for the first time since September and as soon as I finish the brakes and wheelie bars she will be ready to race.
The simple little 'winter project' has now taken so long that the new motor is almost complete and ready for the dyno. Don't know if I'll be able to just sit around and let the big bad monster sit on an engine stand all summer, waiting to be 'next winters project', or if the car will come apart again in a few months. For now I think I better just get used to the car with all the changes before throwing another 200 HP at her.

http://www.small-block-chevy.com/nova.htm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking for frame motor mounts for 1970 nova and a decent torque converter for powerglide, 383 cubes, setup with 4.11 gear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts