Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am pretty much wanting to de-chrome the outside of my 74. I was looking at it today and wondered if a person could powder coat the exterior window trim. I have an Eastwood powder coat gun and have done a lot of brackets and other stuff, but never anything as thin as window trim.

Has anyone have any experience with this? Does it work?

I think I want to go with black trim. Something that doesn't shine at you.

Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
You are aware that powder coat has to be baked. So all of the trim has to be removed. In the process there is a large probability of removing the trim it could be bent or kinked. That would imply having to buy replacements. I would have a replacement in hand before I attempted it (because I am familiar with how clumsy I am which is why you want a jock for a surgeon instead of a geek as evidenced by the magazines found in the waiting room).

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts
I heard some guys are using Plasti-Dip and supposed to work good, and if later you don't like it or want to change color you just peel it off, anybody here ever try it??, sounds like a cool deal if it actually works??...

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
I removed mine, bead blasted it, shot a coat of self etching primer then a coat of underhood black. The paint used was Martin Senour rattle cans bought at NAPA.

Everything painted black was done with the same paint, trim, wiper arms, grill, mirrors, core support, inner fenders, firewall. All has held up to washing, bugs, rocks with no chips or fading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts