Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Any opinions on wheel spacers if they are ok (safe) to use, :confused: 1" thick, the style that bolts to hup then wheel bolts to spacer.
Thanks Rich

G

·
just an opinion...

i don't really care for the thought of using a spacer that doesn't center the wheel on the axle hub. the wheel studs do not locate/center the wheel they just hold it tight to the axle. when using a spacer that centers on the axle hub, the spacer is centered but if IT doesn't utilize a hub to locate the wheel then the stresses are placed more on the studs to hold tight and to center...

again, just an opinion, i've heard of many guys using spacers with no issues... i'm just leary of 'em.

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
:noway: Studs are in shear instead of being in tension. :noway:

If you need a different bolt pattern pull the axle and redrill the pattern, or buy an after market axle in the bolt pattern you desire. If you need a different bolt pattern for your wheels, buy new wheels; wheels need a different back spacing buy new wheels.

Enough people need what you have to sell or trade yours for theirs. Wheels have no moving parts, do not wear out, and if corrosion free they will out last you. If you abuse a wheel (dare-devil shows were half the show is spent ridding on the side wall, the other half jumping the car off ramps for example), they do not last as long, but are still serviceable if they can pass a MagnaFlux test for cracks (X-rays for aluminum).

Big Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts