Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,568 Posts
Welcome to the Team Ron!

First question I have is what kind of rear end do you have? In 1973 the factory installed a corporate 10 bolt (8.5 inch ring gear 28 spline axles) made by American Axle Works. If you have an aftermarket manufactured nine inch or a Spicer 12 bolt (or a Dana 60) your choice of gears change as each has their own ratio choices.

Second question is what kind of cam (flat tappet or roller, hydraulic or solid tappet), and the specs on the cam (lift and duration) to determine your power band.

Third question is do you have heads to support high RPM operation (large ports with stiff valve springs with guide plates to utilize a larger than stock push rod) or are they closer sized for the street (these two heads are mutually exclusive) as a street cruiser 383 wants about a 190 cc head while a race oriented head will be a 230 cc in size.

Everyone dreams of a dual purpose street strip car. I want to to be the first to tell you that you need two different vehicles. One on a trailer because it is unstreetable, but flies like a bat out of heck, and a street driven car to tow it there. Otherwise you will only be racing others for time slips on test and tune night, while the real racers run on Saturday and Sunday for cheap trophies (those cheap trophies cost tens of thousands of dollars to build a car to chase one down).

Big Dave

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 1973 chevy nova with a 383 stroker motor I want to know what is the best gear to run for street and strip with a 700r transmission.
A popular gear for a 383 SBC and 700R4 are 3.73 gears. I personally run 3.42s with my 355 and 700R4. Mine is strictly for the street, though, so I went milder. It's nice to travel on the freeway with overdrive and 3.42s. They feel almost like the 2.73s I had originally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts