Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family has had musclecars all of our life. I have 2 '69 Camaros and a '69 Chevelle SS 396. My brother has a '69 Chevelle SS 396.

We found a numbers matching '70 Nova SS 350 back in 1985 that needed to be restored. We talked our father into buying it. At the time, I worked for a GM dealer so, needless to say, I was ordering new GM parts for it every week. I knew that I needed to get the parts before they were discontinued or we would have to buy repro parts.

We finished the car and Dad would go to cruise nights and car shows with us. Fast forward 22 years and now Dad is going to be 76 years old next month. We've convinced him to put the car up for sale as he is afraid to drive it anymore.

It's a numbers matching SS, 350, automatic on the column, bench seat car(black interior). It was originally Fathom Blue. We had it repainted close to the original color in base coat/clear coat but it's a little lighter blue. It's got a black vinyl top and black spear moldings down the sides with chrome window frame moldings. It's got a 12 bolt with a factory rear sway bar. Don't remember what the gear ratio is but I think it's a 2.73.We just had the trans overhauled because it was leaking and slipping in reverse. The engine runs good but probably could use freshening up as it just turned 100,000 miles.
What's a car like this worth? We wanted to take it to Atlantic City to the car auction but it's sold out.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
I would say about $1200 but I will pay you $1500 for it.
But seriously welcome to the site and that sounds like a great car. It it would be hard to place a value without at least some photos of it's present condition. I am surprised you or your brother don't want to keep it in the family. Before advertising the car it would be wise to spend the money to have it appraised to be certain of its value. We are willing to help but it is hard to do without seeing it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
LOL Philip...Ill give ya $1600 :p
Welcome aboard Burnsamatic. That name reminds me of MAPP gas torches except they are spelled BernzOmatic. I agree with Philip...pics would help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Niether of us have the room for it and my parents could use the money from the sale as they are on a fixed income.
I'll have to get over there and take some pics soon.

·
Registered
938 Posts
As everyone else said pictures would help and also you have to remember none of us that I know of are profesional appraisors. Most of the time when I am trying to figure out the price of something I go to E-bay and look up simular items. Then watch them to the end and see what they go for then depending on the item I might knock a little off for direct sale or add a little since E-bay tends to add a little auction excitement which can cause slightly or massively over pricing or underpricing due to limited number of interested parties or a problem with how it comes up in search engines. Something that makes the 68-71 SS Novas difficult is the fact that the only way to prove the car is a True SS is paperwork. Options can give strong indicators, but then again you can buy almost any option on E-bay and put it on any car! The best way to figure out a value is a professional auto appraiser. Then you have to remember this is true value, but not necessarily the current selling price as they are different depending on lots of factors: Time of year you are selling, current supply verses demand, desirability of non real features of the car (color of exterior and interior: Bright red would sell better than Hot Pink unless you are dealing with an origional Mary-K sales award car), where and how it is advertised...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it's going to the Atlantic City car auction in February. I'm putting a reserve of 20K. If it don't bring 20K, we'll keep it and try another day. With Chevelles averaging 30K and up and Camaros averaging 40K and up, I think 20K is very fair for this car.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Now this is my opinion and I am not an expert by any standard. Also I am not knocking the car in the least bit, it is probably a beautiful car. But 20K on a 20+ year old restoration seems high. I know the Chevelles and the Camaros are bringing big money right now, but while the Camaros seem to pull big bucks in any form the Chevelles seem to be a little bit more picky. While yes your car is an SS (assuming you have documents to prove it or not, the options sure point in that direction). Something about auto tranny muscle cars hurt their value unless it was a COPO or something along that line. Also the car does not have top power option (396) for a 70's Nova. If I had 20K and was looking for a muscle car that was ready to drive I would be expecting a recent restoration or rarer optioned Nova. If I couldn't find that in a Nova I would step over and look at the 1st gen Firebirds. For some reason their price hasn't caught on like the Camaro. A little hard to understand since they had lower production numbers and as long as you don't go into COPO cars you could get a larger cubic inch engine in one from the factory. (396 in Camaro or 400 in the Pontiac) Also every option available to the Camaro was available to the Firebird and the Firebird had a couple options not available to the Camaro.

Well I already stuck my foot in my mouth, so I will stop now and please remember I am just giving my personal opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll post what it sells for or what it bids up to. Appreciate your opinion. More are welcome!

PS. It deosn't look like a 20 year old restoration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts