Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get an idea of what works where. I have a 2.92 gear with a 27 inch tall tire currently. Obviously i want to go to a deeper gear. I would like to see what everyone else is using. And maybe what speeds it will do in each gear? I just got a saginaw with the 2 ring input shaft, 3.11 first, 2.20 second, 1.47 third and a 1.00 final, I've used a caluclator that someone showed me online, but i figure with vehicle weight it is probably not too accurate. My engine builds peak power right around 6500-6700. Let me know what some of you are running so I can figure out what im going to do, and it might help others too! THANKS

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well I don't have my car on the road, but I have a brand new 3.73 ring in pinion set I plan to use. Don't have rims or tires yet so I have no idea. One thing I think worth mentioning here is with an engine that peaks in the above range and if it is a V-8 I don't think the saginaw is going to hold up well. I had plans to use a saginaw origionally, but after much research and not enough cash to buy a 4-speed Muncie I decided to go with a 3-speed muncie for the time being and upgrade later when I have the cash for a T56 upgrade. My engine plans call for a mild 400 HP and 400 Ft lbs to begin with since I'm starting with 455 CID Pontiac engine. If I have my way it will be getting little upgrades every winter, but even these 400 numbers are to much for a saginaw 4-speed.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
You will need to gear the car to the engine. Weight really has nothing to do with the gearing once you are moving. You will not want to cruise below 2200 rpms to avoid surging. The 2.92 gears would be more forgiving with an auto trans because of the torque convertor. I am using 3.73 gears with a 26.5" tall tire. Because of the OD in my trans it should be a good all round ratio. I have 3.73 and same tires on the El Camino and it would probably be better with a 3.31 ratio with auto trans.

Chances are your Saginaw won't last as long as it will take to install. They were used behind engines with less than 300 ft lbs of torque, like 4 cyl, V6 and the 305 V8. The 3 speed is much stronger and you should consider using one of them. It was the base transmission for years and even used behind big blocks. If your interested I have one that came out of a 72 Monte Carlo. If you pick it up you can have it for free.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I'm running 4.56:1 with 27" tall tires behing the 582, and 3.73:1 with a 26.5" tire behind a 406 in the other car. Both cars have an OD tranny with a 3400 RPM "lock-up" converter. (582 has a 4L80E behind it, the 406 has a 700R4 behind it).

Big Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gloryhound, just so you know, a 455 Pontiac engine with 9.5 compression and a cam like the XE274 with a good exhaust and a 67-71 stock intake and properly tuned Q-jet (read as very mild combination) will produce more like 450hp and 500-520lb.-ft, of torque. You'll need a strong trans.

·
Registered
938 Posts
71SS454 said:
Gloryhound, just so you know, a 455 Pontiac engine with 9.5 compression and a cam like the XE274 with a good exhaust and a 67-71 stock intake and properly tuned Q-jet (read as very mild combination) will produce more like 450hp and 500-520lb.-ft, of torque. You'll need a strong trans.
I kinda figure that, but as long as I keep my expectations lower I won't be disappointed. Also right now I don't have the best heads (4X-4H Heads). Later I want to upgrade to Edlebrock Aluminum Performer heads, but won't be able to afford them during the initial engine and car build.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of speed does everyone get with their combo? I still want to be able to break 125mph, im really considering a 3.73 in mine

·
Registered
938 Posts
Big Dave said:
Simple enough you just need 490 RWHp (576 flywheel Hp) with a 3200 pound Nova and perfect traction.

Big Dave
Why do the laws of physics always have to hold you back from obtaining your goals? :angry:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as why would i want to be able to break 125?, why not, as far as where, id love to say the local 8th mile track but thats just a dream, id like to do it down at the 1\4 miler..... thesaginaw i got is all new, except the case. Im really hoping it holds up for a decent time, long enough for me to get an older nova (mines a 77) and someting like a 5 speed for it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I run a 3.73 ratio, as you can't get one numerically lower for a spool! :(

It works fine for around town driving, and even highway is okay (3400 rpm at 70 mph, about 13 mpg on my last decent trip).

Goes through the traps on the motor at 6000 rpm and 6400 rpm on the nitrous, so it'll work for now.

Derek

·
Registered
40 Posts
The saginaw isn't going to take that much power. I would find a 3.42 low ST-10 and leave your gears alone. Just use the first 3 gears of the trans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts