Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out and started my Nova the other day. Fired right up and ran great! (I love it when that happens) Sitting there idleing I goose it a couple times. Idles fine but when I step on the gas it dies. Let go of the gas, runs fine. Then it stalls. Uh oh. Oh wait, lemme see. Pop the hood and look into the carb and pump the throttle a few times, nothing. Go around to the back of the car and smack the tank a couple times. Toooong, Tooooong. Uh huh, gas gauge reads just under a 1/4. Mental note to self: never let gas go under a 1/4. Five gallons of petro later, we're back to normal.

Moral of the story: Just because something says something to be true, doesn't mean it is. Investigate on your own and draw your own conclusion.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Mental note to self: never let gas go under a 1/4. Five gallons of petro later, we're back to normal.

Moral of the story: Just because something says something to be true, doesn't mean it is. Investigate on your own and draw your own conclusion.
Just adjust the gauge. First though you will have to rip your dash and every thing else apart, look at the back of the gas gauge for a screw that has a + __- . If there isn't one you did all that work for nothing and put it all back together.

Now go down to radio shack and buy one of every resistor they sell. Remove the gas tank and pull the sending unit. Attach a jumper cable to the unit and to a good ground. With an empty gas tank, bend the arm of the sending unit so that while at the bottom of it's travel the float touches the bottom of tank. Check gauge to see if it reads empty. Once you have accomplished this reassemble everything and fill tank with gas.

Note gauge reading. Does it say full? If not add a resister in line until it does. Once you have it reading full with stable power and a good ground you must check to see if it effects the reading at empty, so empty the tank again and recheck the empty calibration. Everything working properly. Put everything back together and pat yourself on the back; but only after you have gotten yourself all cleaned up.

Otherwise get label maker and make a label to mark empty at a 1/4 tank and enjoy the Christmas festivities. Drink an egg nog for me. :beers:

Merry Christmas

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just adjust the gauge. First though you will have to rip your dash and every thing else apart, look at the back of the gas gauge for a screw that has a + __- . If there isn't one you did all that work for nothing and put it all back together.

Now go down to radio shack and buy one of every resistor they sell. Remove the gas tank and pull the sending unit. Attach a jumper cable to the unit and to a good ground. With an empty gas tank, bend the arm of the sending unit so that while at the bottom of it's travel the float touches the bottom of tank. Check gauge to see if it reads empty. Once you have accomplished this reassemble everything and fill tank with gas.

Note gauge reading. Does it say full? If not add a resister in line until it does. Once you have it reading full with stable power and a good ground you must check to see if it effects the reading at empty, so empty the tank again and recheck the empty calibration. Everything working properly. Put everything back together and pat yourself on the back; but only after you have gotten yourself all cleaned up.

Otherwise get label maker and make a label to mark empty at a 1/4 tank and enjoy the Christmas festivities. Drink an egg nog for me. :beers:

Merry Christmas

Big Dave
Never occured to me to do all of that. Good info though. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts