Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to tell if the car is an SS through the Vin? Mine is a 114 and some one claims that it needs to be 118 . I have seen Documneted Novas SS with 114 vin . Any input or is this like the 70 chevelle where some people think the 13637 Vin is an SS ?
Thanks Joe
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
c1run1 said:
Is there any way to tell if the car is an SS through the Vin? Mine is a 114 and some one claims that it needs to be 118 . I have seen Documneted Novas SS with 114 vin . Any input or is this like the 70 chevelle where some people think the 13637 Vin is an SS ?
Thanks Joe
[email protected]
the 114 just means it is made by Chev and that it's a V8 car. You cannot tell from the VIN number in a 1970 Nova if it is a "real" SS or not...sorry

link with info on VIN numbers
http://novaresource.org/v70.htm

Link with info on the SS option
http://novaresource.org/rpo_Z26.htm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey , thanks for the information 69NovaSS i didn't think there was but i wanted to make sure .

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have a Canadian car these can be verified and de-coded by GM in Ontario. I have a documented SS, one of 3026 imported for sale here with the 350, bench, 4 spd etc.
Other that that there were the obvious items that make an SS (front disc brakes, 5 leaf etc). One key item to look at is the hood. Only the SS had the two re-enforcing tabs added under the insulation near on the wind shield side. These were added due to the mass of the hood grills. If there are present you are one step closer....if there not...well

Canadian SS

·
Registered
8 Posts
One key item to look at is the hood. Only the SS had the two re-enforcing tabs added under the insulation near on the wind shield side. These were added due to the mass of the hood grills. If there are present you are one step closer....if there not...well

Canadian SS

Wow, didn't know this. thanks dude!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.