Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a free 350sbc 2 bolt from PA. Started stripping it with the intention of getting it magnafluxed and if all checks out, build it for street/strip. Not critical as I plan on replacing it with a better cam anyway, but i would like to know what was in it. Only marks are CWC below the gear for the distributor, a raised + sign, "838", "GM" and what looks like "OCO" but I cant make it out well. If anyone knows about these things please let me know, it would be much appreciated.

· Registered
109 Posts
Recently picked up a free 350sbc 2 bolt from PA. Started stripping it with the intention of getting it magnafluxed and if all checks out, build it for street/strip. Not critical as I plan on replacing it with a better cam anyway, but i would like to know what was in it. Only marks are CWC below the gear for the distributor, a raised + sign, "838", "GM" and what looks like "OCO" but I cant make it out well. If anyone knows about these things please let me know, it would be much appreciated.
Numbers don't sound familiar to me.
Google only tells me a GM "838" was a Comp roller cam for LS 1, 2 & 6 engines, but I also got a hit for the Hydro Roller cam used in the zz3 and zz4 engines.
One thing you might try, if you have the tools for it, is to measure the lift at the lobe.
If its a Gen 1 engine, lobe lift on a stock cam should be .260" for the intake and .269" for the exhaust.
If its a roller cam, that ZZ cam I mentioned would measure .316" on the intake lobe and .340" lift on the exhaust lobe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts