Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello ,first time here ,anywhere for that matter.not sure what i`m doing,i would like to know some info on unisteer r&p or flamimg rivers version,steeroid,etc,i have a 454,4spd munice,12 bolt,in 74 hatchback,i`m putting a copletely rebuilt subframe i.e. global west upper and lower a-arms,GW springs,i have slow ratio manaul now(stock) ihave had this car for 30 yrs,first car:) starting to tear down soon,just want to get my steering thought out first,thanks for any info

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Welcome to the site. I wish I still had my first car, for that matter about the first 5 :D
Your 74 sounds like a real nice ride and getting better as far as the front end goes. I can't help with info on your steering upgrade, but if you post this info in the brakes and suspension section it will get more exposure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the Unisteer rack in my 72. Also did the upper and lower tubular control arms, a QA1 coilover setup and added 4 wheel discs at the same time. Only issue I could see would be the linkage to the rack and header clearance since you have a big block. I have a small block and had Hedman headers and the linkage installed fine. Bought a new set of Hooker super comps and there was no way the linkage was going to work without cutting into the #1 header tube. So I sold them and bought a new set of Jet Hot coated Hedmans. You may need to use a three joint linkage setup with the big block. Car handles and drives like a new one, I can tell you that. Also, I was able to use my factory power steering pump and it works perfectly. Look forward to hearing about your progress.
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi everyone,does anyone know if there is a type 2 power steering pump bracket for big block chevy with a long water pump, i`m getting ready to buy a unisteer power rack and pinon set up,dave and steve where out of the office and i really could`nt find out if there bracket set up wuold fit a long water pump,i have manual box on now so i dont know much about the brackets,thanks larry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hello again,well i got the power steering pump bracket worked out,now my motor mounts are right in the way of the bango fittings to my power rack and pinion,i have the stock mounts that came on the car new there clam shell type and are huge like 3x5",i swapped motors years ago 350 to 454 used same mounts been fine till now,my subframe has a tab welded to the back side of the subframe on both side which causes the motor mounts to hang over the back of the subframe covering the rack right where the bango fittings go,has anyone had this problem are have info on different type of mounts that i cuold use ,thanks for any help:),larry

·
Registered
627 Posts
i didnt have any problems with mine..i used russell AN fittings( the ones wthat use the orings) go inside the rack. a few elbow fittings and i was done..but my car has a small motor mountthey are tall and skinny..my old 73 nova had this big nasty mount thats a pain to get out. so i could see how this could be a problem..you may just have to thread all your lines on to the rack and then mount the rack up after you get everything hooked up..just an idea

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks strtlegal,i did alittle more research on all the different types( i.e. shapes and sizes) of mounts and brackets and went ahead and ordered a set of 1970 nova big block brackets the way there made looks like that would give me the clearance i need for the p.s. lines and fittings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts