Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im thinking about changing mufflers. Ive been reading about flow between welded mufflers and the flowmasters seem to be the absolute worst by a good margin in fact. Ive also noticed the HUGE difference in power at the track when i drop my exaust. I currently have 50 series 3 chamber 3" dual flowmasters on my Nova. Im considering a swap to 3" street Ultra Flow's from dynomax. The flow difference is unreal, its somthing like 365CFM for flowmasters compared to 1,100CFM for ultra flows. Would this be a good move? Are they horribly loud? Ive been getting the idea that they are quieter than flowmasters, less interior resonance, and much better performers. Does anyone have any info about this swap? Any power figures? Would this be a good idea? I would prefer not to have to drop my exaust at the track when i go.

Heres a quickie on my motor
-11.1:1 350
-200cc racerites
-258/[email protected] .562/.562 lift on a 108 installed straight up, solid FT
-Team G intake
-750 mighty demon
Now my current exaust starts with super comp 1 7/8" primary headers into 3.5" collectors{yeah i know, i know, theyre not ideal} then they go into a 3" exaust and dump before the rear axle through 50 series 3 chamber flows.

Any ideas?? Thanks..

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
I have the ultra flows on my Elky and really like the sound and performance. Enough sound to pleasing to the ears and still be able to talk in a normal tone to passengers.The tailpipes turndown under the rear bumper. Stuffing the little pedal to the floor produces a nice rich tone loud enough to turn heads without attracting unwanted attention. When the Nova is due for exhaust it will also have Ultraflows installed.

edit, mine are the stainless versions. They look like chrome they are so shiny.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ultra Flo's flow better also

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know of a Camaro with these mufflers and they are much quieter than Flowmasters.

For what it's worth, I just swapped my 3" Flowmaster American Thunder system with Super 40 black case mufflers and a H-pipe for a Magnaflow 3" stainless system with X-pipe and their polished mufflers. You can look straight through these mufflers, and I was afraid it would be louder, but the system is actually quieter and I picked up 14 rwhp on the chassis dyno! :thumbsup:

Derek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts