Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn on my headlights and also use my turn signal the lights dim sometimes even turn off and wont turn back on until i wiggle the turn signal switch. I figure its the switch because the headlight switch is new. Does anyone have any suggestions or know where I can purchase a upper steering column. I dont need the entire steering column but if I have to buy the entire column then thats what I have to do.... My turn signals dont flash either and i changed the flasher. I have done some of the wiring myself using diagrams off the net so Im just hoping I have it right and its the turn signal harness or switch.. Thanks for any replies.

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
Well Mike in your 1972 Nova the steering column is all one piece (even a tilt column that bends in the middle is still sold as a single unit). There is no top half. If you are having electrical problems your steering column can be disassembled and rebuilt with new bushings and universal if you have a tilt column. I wouldn't recommend it as it is a Chinese puzzle inside; but a tilt column is few and far between on a Chevy (though they are as common as dirt on a Cadillac Seville X-body car, and the the Buick Apollo/Century X-body cars: appearing not nearly as frequently on the Olds Omega).

Once it is apart you can inspect the wire loom inside the steering column and repair it as needed. The turn signal switch and the horn ring can be replaced with new replacement parts (they are made of white nylon plastic and the cancel cam frequently break).

It would be probably cheaper than a new column to have yours examined by an experienced mechanic (someone with gray hair that has English fraction of an inch sockets and wrenches in his tool chests). Like I said it is a Chinese puzzle inside and disassembly requires a few special tools to take apart and reassemble as there are springs and plastic parts that ave to inter-fit into each other without being forced. It also wouldn't hurt to choose the smallest experience mechanic you can find as well as some one my size has problems just getting my fingerer's into the interior to work on the pieces inside; if you get a choice.

Big Dave

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry to hi jack this thread, Would those caddy tilt steerings fit the Nova (1970-72)
Well Mike in your 1972 Nova the steering column is all one piece (even a tilt column that bends in the middle is still sold as a single unit). There is no top half. If you are having electrical problems your steering column can be disassembled and rebuilt with new bushings and universal if you have a tilt column. I wouldn't recommend it as it is a Chinese puzzle inside; but a tilt column is few and far between on a Chevy (though they are as common as dirt on a Cadillac Seville X-body car, and the the Buick Apollo/Century X-body cars: appearing not nearly as frequently on the Olds Omega). Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
No not really as the Caddy was only offered in 1976-'79 making it a front steer car, so it won't bolt into your rear steer car (though the internal parts all interchange). You can find Buick Apollo's and Olds Omega's made from 1969-'72 with tilt columns that will directly interchange.

Big Dave

·
Administrator
9,471 Posts
Mike the problem may be as simple as a poor ground. Do the turn signals work correctly with the headlights off? The turn signal flasher is not the one in the fuse panel, it is under the dash on the passenger side of the steering column bracing.

Mike55 The 68 - 74 Nova and 69 Camaro are unique to those models. Because of the rear steer there are not swap options available from the other GM lines.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Just went through this with my Monte Carlo (81). The turn signals worked fine when the lights were off. Turned the lights on and got a dim headlight and the turn signal light on the dash remained lit up. Turn the lights off and everything was fine.

Started checking everything and found that the turn signal plugs were bad. Replaced these and redid the wiring with new grounds and all is well. Did not have to touch the headlights; just new grounds all around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all replies! I have taken apart the column(not a tilt) and cleaned up all connections to my best ability.. I have flashers now!! When i turn on my headlights the flashers dont flash and the headlights dont work... I found a loose ground and ill see if thats the problem. This cars wiring is a nightmare because the previous owner put a digital dash and 85 heater in the car.. I have removed all of the electrical that he hacked and am now peicing the puzzle.. The car has a 307(he called it a 308??) T-5 5 speed, Elderbrock 4 brrl,Disc brakes and who knows what they did the rear end...
I'll check all grounds and get back to you guys... THANKS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, fixed the flashers and the headlights work when their on low beam. When I click them to high beam the drivers side tuns off. I hard wired the high beam and it works? Im thinking high beam switch... Any Ideas? ..A update on whats been done lately: new dash,repaired e-brake bracket,turn signals,original dash wiring,brake lights...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.