Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 nova with a 350 turbo it shifts fine under heavy throttle but under right throttle it shifts late and hard and doesn't like going into 3rd unless I shift into 2nd and back into 3rd I think I have a leak some where I keep losing fluid on my dipstick

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Welcome to Team Nova!

Check the vacuum line to the Modulator valve, make sure you have no leak and check the modulator, next check the Governor make sure it's not sticking

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agree with above post about vacuum & governor. Also check the kick down cable adjustment. If it's to tight or in the wrong place on the throttle linkage You can have the same problem. Also to state the obvious...If low on fluid it won't shift correctly & you'll burn up a tranny

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cable is cut off and I can't see any leaks wonder if the modulator is sucking the atf
Car will smoke if modulator diaphragm is bad from the tranny fluid been sucked into the motor. How many inches of vacuum do you have at the modulator? Those lines rot. You said the cable is cut off... Why? What do you have in that hole? Dipstick tubes also can leak. Lines tight? What cam manifold & carb are you running?is in your motor? Is the modulator line connected to direct vacuum?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't checked vacuum yet previous owner had tranny rebuilt and I guess they cut it off end of thr line is still in the tranny dipstick tube is glued in I checked that isk anything abiut the engine besides its a 305 with a brawler carb with a edelbrock intake

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you. So your making vacuum & it's a dual plane manifold. You need to be sure you have vacuum at the modulator. I thought about the kick down cable being cut. Make sure the cable is not stuck in the housing and pulling the lever on the valve body asked you check for vacuum at the modulator. You'll be right there and you can inspect it if that time. Before checking the vacuum at the bottom by the modulator make sure the source at the carburetor or if it's hooked to the manifold itself is direct vacuum meaning it has full vacuum all the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't checked the line yet but I took it out today for a spin after cleaning my spark plugs and it shifted great cold but when it got up to temp sometimes it would shift horribly sometimes perfectly and I noticed when I stopped and got iut it was puffing a bit of smoke out the pipes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts