Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new car home last night and knew the engine and transmission were "just sitting in the car" Well find the transmission tailshaft housing is just resting on the crossmember, the cross member is one that is welded and that is so far back (for what trans I dont know) that the powerglide tail shaft barely catches on it, a good 6-8 inches back from where that factory, or any crossmember would bolt in the stock location. What crossmember and I use with a powerglide?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think the powerglide and the TH350 used the same crossmember:confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why would somebody weld the crossmember in? It's a lot easier to remove the tranny if you can unbolt the crossmember and remove it. Though I suppose with a racecar, they may pull motor & tranny as a unit all the time????

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
maybe it was faster just to weld it in then it was to find the bolts you dropped so you could bolt it back in:rolleyes:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I read it as the one he has is the welded style crossmember. The T-400 crossmember is a tube that has the pad welded to the tube. It sits farther back because the T-400 is longer. The T-350 is a stamped steel piece that is about 6 -8 inches wide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the one thats in the car now has two tabs welded to what seems to be another crossmember for the floor pan? And the actual crossmember can be unbolted, by why so far back? The main one is to get the engine and trans in the car at the correct angle. I could make one, but I want the angle correct. Is the 350 and "glide crossmembers the same? Until now, I has always had Camaros, I dont have any idea who is a good supplier for Nova parts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The T-350, Muncie and powerglide all use the same one. This site is sponsered by Ground Up they sell them I think. Used ones are also available on E-Bay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts