Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
sorry to cut in but they have a train like the silverton up here in arizona that cruises from williams to the south rim of the grandcanyo..its a fun train ride, plus you get robbed by bandits..lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
strtlegal said:
sorry to cut in
No need to apologize. It's about trains. In another post, Randy mentioned pics. I've also ridden the one from Durango to Silverton, but couldn't find any pics. I have read about the one in AZ. It's on my list. ;)

Dan (would ride 'em all if he had the time):D

·
Registered
128 Posts
:D :D :D :D :D :hurray: :hurray::hurray:
I have a picture of that engine double headed with one of her sisters I think. Is that a Cumbres & Toltec engine? I have a few shots I found on webshots of that line. I have another pic that I think is the same engine, but the number is not clear enough to tell. It could also be 481 or 487. It would still be a sister engine.

Thanks for sharing the pictures Dan!!!!!:D

Randy (won't even say anything bad about that guy standing on the platform!):rolleyes:

·
Registered
98 Posts
HOLD THE PHONE THERE MARGRET!!! I think I know that young lady there.:) Seems like her name was Sylvia something. I think she is married to a cop....or a Marshall.:eek: Who is that old coot with her tho?? Must be one of them dudes that hops rides on trains.

Don (trying to rem. her last name)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks Dan!!! The pic of 484 makes nice wallpaper!!! I tried to make the other one wallpaper, but it kept popping up error messages. Something about being unable to process hobo pictures, and making a request for a visit from Johnny Nuke 'em.:eek: I thought I better leave it alone before the computer blew up!!:D

Randy (Johnny, please return to your nap!!):eek: :boring:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey DANNO....that first and third picture were cool, but I don't think I'd care much for the second pic. :eek: I don't think people would like ta stand next to me. :D

Don

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
We will be in Williams, AZ for the annual HOG State Rally on June 15th thru the 18th. Last time we were there I watched the trains depart and return and wished I was aboard. This year we have reservations on the Grand Canyon Railway. One less day of motorcycle fun, but I think it will be well worth it. Mary has never seen the Grand Canyon so it will be a fun trip. I'll take pictures for you guys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As much as I love trains, I have only ridden on two. I have ridden the Skunk line from Ft. Bragg, and rode on the original California Zypher headed by a replica of one of the F units a few years ago. I got to meet the man who owned the engine and the original cars. He took my ex and I on a personal tour of the cars. The old passenger cars from the 40's were very lavish!! There are a few dinner trains in my area that I plan to ride in the future.

The guy I work with that I spoke about earlier travels around the world to ride steam trains. His best stories was about the train ride he took in Argentina. Because the country is so poor, they cannot afford certain "luxury" items on the trains like brakes!!:eek: He said that when they want to stop, they just put the engine in reverse! You can do that on a steam engine.

Randy (don't try that with the Nova!!):D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
xinloi44 said:
:eek: I don't think people would like ta stand next to me. :D

Don
Little afraid of heights, are we? :D The Durango-Silverton train has some higher places that you would enjoy, Don. ;) Heights bother me, too, but only if I'm standing on the ground looking over.

I've only ridden a few trains, Randy. There is a short little narrow gauge run out of Cripple Creek that goes out a ways and then backs up. I rode trains in Germany. Very punctual!! I rode a train from Frankfort to Berlin when the Commies were still there. It ran only at night . Guess they didn't want us to see anything! Some day I'd like to take the train that runs all the way across Canada.

Dan (chugging away!):D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thats some beautiful pics Danno!!! I remember riding the train in Durango when I was a kid and we were on vacation there. You should post those pics on this other site Im a member of for model railroading http://www.the-gauge.com/ cuz I know theyd enjoy seeing those...I sure do! Thats beautiful countryside, especially from a view from the train. That 2nd pic is simply FANTASTIC!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
DANNO said:
Little afraid of heights, are we? :D The Durango-Silverton train has some higher places that you would enjoy, Don. ;) Heights bother me, too, but only if I'm standing on the ground looking over.

Dan (chugging away!):D
I'm not to bad on the ground, but not on riding something like that. :) Flying doesn't bother me, I really like it. Well, most of the time. We were at Niagra Falls once and went for a ride in one of those little Bell choppers. Ya know the glass bubble jobs. He was flying along and when he got right over the falls he throws it over on its right side, so I could see better.:eek: If he hadn't of flipped it back as quick as he did, he would have thought he had a bomber.:D The older I get, the more I don't like heights.

Don

·
Registered
627 Posts
HEY phillip i went in october it was fun, but you have to stay in the hotel for full experience..ill post some pics

during the winter months they go to diesel train though, but i still have a pic of the older engine that normally does the pulling

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.