Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into purchasing a chevyII. The car currently has a Targetmaster/Goodwrench 350. from the stamping, 1066036 and 1m08105vp all i could tell is that the engine was produced is a Targetmaster 350 built in Mexico on August 10, 2005. I know it has a compression ratio of 8.5:1 and came in a range of trims from 190hp-260hp, but that is all I could find.

Could anyone please chime in and point me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
17,568 Posts
TargetMaster was targeting the armature rebuilder. It is cheaper to buy a TargetMaster than to buy the rings and bearings and other parts to rebuild an engine. It is just a base 350 engine that was once released in all smog motor year cars that has been rebuilt out of parts that either didn't make quality control without rework or used equipment turned in under warranty and rebuilt en Mexico! If it is painted blue it is a mid eighties engine if painted black it is a newer engine, but the principle difference between this motor and a GMPP motor is the used parts content. GMPP motors are all brand new and carry a full GM warranty.

Big Dave

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Greetings from Arizona
Nice thing about buying your Nova with that motor is you can drive it, enjoy it and down the road build one and install it and keep on cruising! I'm running a GM crate motor, 350/330hp in my 69 Camaro and its a good set up for mild mannered street car. backed up by 700r4/3:31 tail gears I get about 20 mpg freeway....Jay

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to bring this post back from the dead for a minute to verify something. If I am buying parts for this engine, would I buy 87 and later parts or pre 86 SBC parts? This seems like a no brainer being the engine was manufactured in 2005 but I have received both answers from different individuals claiming different reasons.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
17,568 Posts
I need to bring this post back from the dead for a minute to verify something. If I am buying parts for this engine, would I buy 87 and later parts or pre 86 SBC parts? This seems like a no brainer being the engine was manufactured in 2005 but I have received both answers from different individuals claiming different reasons.

Thanks for the help.
Depends upon the crank shaft that was installed in the block. If it is a one piece rear main seal then it is a 1986 or newer engine. If it has a two piece rear main seal then it was built in 1985 or earlier.

Big Dave

·
Registered
388 Posts
Canadian Target Master engines must be different. All parts were brand new in them and they were available with one piece or two piece rear seal, your choice when you ordered it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The only thing I have to add here is that the Targetmaster\Goodwrench 350s are a trade off:
the good part is you install them and pretty much forget them because they run forever.
the bad is if you are looking for any kind of performance, they underwhelm. They are 260 hp with no accessories, 190 HP in reality.

It may be a good block to rebuild though, if what you have is a 4 bolt.

Just depends on what you want out of it and what your budget is. I considered one for my Nova at one point, but just rebuilt the 350 in my car, instead. For about the same price I think I got a better engine with a better cam, rockers, and lifers, better harmonic balancer, better double roller timing chain, forged pistons and stock 1972 1.94s with a 3 angle and better springs than a Targetmaster\Goodwrench. The only thing about the Targetmaster over my current engine is that mine is a 2 bolt, but if you are building for less than 400 HP, (mine is like 325HP) it really doesn't matter that much anyway.

I also know, according to my Small block Chevy V8 interchange manual, that they had 4 bold mains at least into the mid 1980s, they had cast pistons and crank, and as stated they were low compression with 76CC heads that I believe were based on the 993 heads from the 1970s.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey!
Thanks for the information. Ive been digging around and got a little more knowledge relating to these specific engines. In fact, a recent issue of Car Craft goes into an article where they squeeze 500+hp out of one with the included heads. Granted, it was much to due to the large squeeze of nitrous, but either way, it was nice to see an article on building a powerful engine for less than a paycheck.

In my case however, I am planning on picking up a set of 64cc heads. I'd prefer to go aluminum to save some weight, but the Vortec iron heads are very budget friendly too. I figure with that, and a decent cam, I can hover around 325whp, which will be a very nice change from the 200 Im guessing I currently have. 8:1 compression is a buzzkill.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you will double check your casting number you will find you have 10066036 not 1066036

Engine is a base line 350/165hp 4bolt main standard replacement engine.
It is a 2 piece rear main seal engine.

===================================================

Built in 2005 the engine if it says "TARGETMASTER" was sold thre AC Delco Gm and this was the time of conversion to take the engine business away from GM AC DELCO aftermarket and place them under GM only. This is when I worked for and part of the new program. And the warranty programs changed drastically.

Targetmaster even as most were 100% new, they did not require GM authentic required parts, because they were built under AC Delco Aftermarket.
The engine was cast in Mexico and assembled in Texas.

Today's GM "Goodwrench" engines are GM authentic quality parts.
In the SBC things are really not that much different for the "targetmaster", in SBC, gaskets, Camshafts, rocker arms & push-rods were problems. Engines like the 454 truck &V6 engines there were drastic differences in quality parts.

FYI
Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an older (79/80) I think Target Master motor as the sticker states back then they were a General Motors Part Division product rather than AC Delco. I hope this means the quality of the internal was better as I just bought this one today.
Brown Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bag Bumper

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is an older (79/80) I think Target Master motor as the sticker states back then they were a General Motors Part Division product rather than AC Delco. I hope this means the quality of the internal was better as I just bought this one today.
View attachment 20546
Targetmaster/Goodwrench engines were stock Chevy 350's that were sold through Dealerships, mail and parts stores.
They are GM spec stock small block Chevy's that were built in Mexico (thus the old slang term "Mexi-Motor").
GM never installed them in new cars. They were all sold as aftermarket replacement engines.
The reliability of them is just as good as the engines that were actually installed in the cars.
One tell-tale sign of a Mexi-Motor is that covers, like the oil pan and valve covers never had gaskets. They simply sealed them with large beads of Permatex (or a similar substance).
There was a time you could get one of those for $399, new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts