Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I'm happy to see the Curtiss C-46 Commando. Not to many of those left in the world as the Douglas C-47 out produced it about three to one. Biggest twin engine transport air craft used by the allies during WWII. It wasn't as popular (called the "Curtis Coffin"), or as reliable as the Douglas that replaced it; which adds to it's rarity. (Just for those numbers matching guys that like survivors).

Big Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Power Auto Media interview with Skrape

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66e3zUEWlLg"]SEMA 2013 Skrape's Nova Wagon - TCI Engineering - Magnaflow - Turbonetics - Wilwood - Ridetech - YouTube[/ame]

Some action from OUSCI including the driveshaft destruction via gopro

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0JqPCKtb4E"]2013 Optima OUSCI - Tapout Skrape in his 1966 Nova Wagon - YouTube[/ame]

-J

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I can't figure out why it failed. You where not that hard on the throttle, and it should be able to spin to a higher RPM than 100 mph. Who made that prop shaft Chevy original, local drive shaft shop? (I am betting it wasn't Denny's). Also what size bearing was in it?

I didn't see any evidence of drive line vibration, so I am assuming the pinion angles are all set correctly.

Finally does the car have data loggers and full sensor package; such as drive shaft RPM?
I am disturbed that it let go like it did. At least you know that the drive shaft safety loops work.

Big Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I can't figure out why it failed. You where not that hard on the throttle, and it should be able to spin to a higher RPM than 100 mph. Who made that prop shaft Chevy original, local drive shaft shop? (I am betting it wasn't Denny's). Also what size bearing was in it?

I didn't see any evidence of drive line vibration, so I am assuming the pinion angles are all set correctly.

Finally does the car have data loggers and full sensor package; such as drive shaft RPM?
I am disturbed that it let go like it did. At least you know that the drive shaft safety loops work.

Big Dave

It was actually real simple, the bearing was the wrong size for the cup. The yoke was changed and not enough attention was paid to the details. Slight oversight that had catastrophic implications.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
A GM R3 cup with a 1310 in it I assume? I'm not sure all of our members are aware of the difference between the newer R3 that replaced the older Spicer 1310. Think of it as similar to the problem of going metric on our Novas with a SAE bolt in a metric threaded hole. Close but no cigar!

Big Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
A GM R3 cup with a 1310 in it I assume? I'm not sure all of our members are aware of the difference between the newer R3 that replaced the older Spicer 1310. Think of it as similar to the problem of going metric on our Novas with a SAE bolt in a metric threaded hole. Close but no cigar!

Big Dave

It had a 1350 joint with a 1330 yoke, nearly a 1/8" difference in size.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The Super Chevy Handling Challenge is all wrapped up. Unfortunately, Mary couldn't drive the car with the seat so far back to fit Skrape. We had to improvise on the driver for the road course. Read all about it in the January 2015 issue of Super Chevy.

Both Skrape's cars in the evening light of the first day of testing.

-J

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.