Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice and guidance out there on converting my automatic to a manual transmission? I have a 73 Nova with a 350 out of a 74 Camaro. I know the Keisler folks can bang this out in a one kit for about $5k but that is a bit more than I paid for the car. I just like the feel of shifting gears. Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The only advice I can offer is get a good tranny to start with. I have had my 71 for a little over a year and the previous owner rigged a 4 speed in her. It has cost me a bunch of money and time to try to get it right. Research the gearing in the tranny to see if it has a ratio that will work with your drive line. Ratios in the tranny are meant for a certain ratio range in the differential. Get all the correct parts to start with. Shifter install kit for the tranny you buy. Good luck

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
The Muncie four speed is a direct bolt in. You will need different pedal assembly and cross-shaft (Z-bar) as well as a bell housing (I recommend an explossion proof one SFI rated) and a SFI rated clutch and flywheel.

Big Dave

G

·
i think in this type of scenario i'd collect the necessary conversion pieces and get a short-timer transmission...

get a saginaw 4spd (minimum investment) and do the swap... then as the money permits get that OD transmission, do tunnel mods (necessary for a TKO) get driveshaft & crossmember etc and then do the OD swap. there's different kits that are offered so it can be done a few different ways... the saginaw trans then can be resold to recoup a few bucks.

i put a TKO in my '64 and purchased everything separately and the cost was a bit higher than buying it in a kit, i just wasn't able to do it in that one shot deal.

get an actual quote for all the different kits etc and see where ya stand ;)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Keisler TKO kits

Any advice and guidance out there on converting my automatic to a manual transmission? I have a 73 Nova with a 350 out of a 74 Camaro. I know the Keisler folks can bang this out in a one kit for about $5k but that is a bit more than I paid for the car. I just like the feel of shifting gears. Any advice is much appreciated.
$5k is about $1200 too high for the automatic to manual swap. But I agree, its still not chump change. Maybe do the 4 speed swap first and graduate into the TKO swap down the road as funds allow. :thumbsup:

G

·
there are differing opinions regarding Saginaws. my opinion is that if you plan on having some horse power and you're going to use it... get a Muncie, a ST10 or better yet, a TKO for that great benefit of the OD.

if you're saving up for one of those ^^^, a Saginaw for $100.00 is a good deal to be used for the meantime. a good Muncie etc can go for the $650 and up price range so to minumize cash losses, i'd get the saggy until i could get the better trans. but keep in mind it's not as good of a tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts