Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to put some new tires on the big block nova The rears will be 26 inches tall and fit in the wheel well. Looking for a softer tire that grips a little but not to the level of drag radials. Ive heard BF goodrich TA radials can be within a few tenths of drag radials. What has worked for you all?

I have access to other mounted tires for the rare trip to the strip.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Mickey T seems to have wrested the most coveted street tire crown from ET with their latest compounds. If you are looking for drag racing action I would recommend buying a set of slicks and bolting them on for race day and keep them in a tightly wrapped garbage bag when taken off the car (rubber is sensitive to oxygen dry rotting as you watch, and UV turning it to powder if left in the sun longer than you would spend time at the beach). Though BFG invented the street radial DOT racing tire they have not put a lot of R&D into being competitive. As far as a DOT drag tire on the street, you will probably get about 500 to 700 street miles per tire depending upon driving habits, and number of tickets already collected.

I run 275R15 GoodYear Eagle GT V rated tires on the street and change to really big slicks when someone shows interest in what the car is capable of.

Big Dave

·
Registered
173 Posts
I own both the BF Goodrich T/A's and the M/T Drag Radials and I like both.

For a serious car, get the M/T's for the traction, they also ride as nice as any tire I have ever owned. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill see if Discount tire can measure what I got and order some MT streets. As far as tickets its amazing the near misses Ive had decelerating back to speed limit.I hate to admit it but I bagged a tuner and when I backed of he just had to press on and pass me. He got pulled over. Ive been good in recent months and go to test n tunes to get it out of my system. (mostly) hmmm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I doubt the regular BFG radials wil harness the big block's torque like a drag radial, then again depends on what the car will see use for. I love the M/T ET street radials as well. Drive to the track, drop 5-6 pounds out, 1.5x or better 60 foot times if track is prepped, then air up and drive home. Hook great on the street too! :D

Derek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.