Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an orig. 49k mile '67 Nova with orig. paint, all orig interior, everything is orig. on this car. Its a real museum piece. It's a sad day because today i was rear-ended and the bumper was pushed in.

Luckily the body was not impacted so i will not have to paint the car. The orig. rear bumper looks like new. I called a local bumper repair shop and they told me that to straighten it out they will have to rechrome it. I would have thought they could straighten it out without rechroming, but should i go that route or just put on a repro? Are the repros any good?

thanks mike

The first three pictures are before the accident, the last is the dented bumper:

Here is a picture of the dented bumper:

·
Registered
43 Posts
The original bumper is a much nicer piece than the repro ones. The chrome will break when it it straightened, so it will need to be re-chromed. I vote for repairing the original.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I can not speak from experience as I have never bought repop parts. I assume that either the quality is just as good as NOS or they are the only game in town.

I would consider getting the original repaired and re-chromed only because you can tell your kids about it. :D

The chrome plating industry has been legislated out of business (could be due to the toxic nature of the process, or the fact that the gasses and by products of heavy metal cause brain damage in higher order mammalians (ask Nero's psychologist what his major maladjustment was, and he would say lead poisoning; I personally think it was his up bringing)). Either way yours may be the last bumper fixed in the US; just think of the bragging rights. :yes:

Big Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock72nova, believe me, i would put an NOS one on the car in a heartbeat, but where would i find one? I checked ebay, but no luck. If anyone knows where i can get one, please let me know!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think for your safety you should sell the car ( to me ) real cheap..and get one with airbags.. just kidding..

your car looks really sharp, I like the trim all there and nice, hate when people take that side moulding off without any trim on the car..unless they put all the ss trim on.
Im a big fan of the 67 malibu trim also..
The 100/150 dollar repop bumpers fit decent.. but the chrome doesnt hold up well over time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stock72nova, believe me, i would put an NOS one on the car in a heartbeat, but where would i find one? I checked ebay, but no luck. If anyone knows where i can get one, please let me know!
Check out http://www.partspetes.com/bumpers/bumpers.php. He sells replated OEM bumpers for a really good price and they look great. I swapped my original rear bumper that needed straigtening with one from him and I couldn't be happier. I'm considering doing the same on my front bumper too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought a new repop set of bumpers for my Chevelle and they were very nice quality and they were made in Tawain. I did not now know where they were made when I bought them. For the money I spent, I was very pleased.

Good Luck and sorry about your accident.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check out Hemmings Motor News for used and NOS parts listings (www.hemmings.com). I used repro bumpers on my '70 model and was happy for the money I spent, but I think I'd dig for a NOS or get yours fixed if you have the $$$.

Good luck!

Derek

1 - 11 of 11 Posts