Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 71 Nova [column shift auto] was wrecked years ago...
the 2 piece 'shift tube' of the steering column has a little plastic shim or keyway [2 of them] that locks the 2 peices together in proper alignment,
well when it was wrecked this little plastic shims [both 0f them] where broke,
subsequently the shift lever [upper shift tube] moves independently of the linkage actuator arm [lower shift tube]
I have been unable to locate these little shims anywhere,
so i drilled a couple small holes & placed some short screws but there wasnt enough clearance for the steering shaft to rotate freely within the shift tube,
in frustration i welded the shift tubes together, now its all fubared up....

where could i find just the shift tube [upper & lower] with new shims??
or an inexpensive replacement column [non-tilt]

Darren Y
775-720-3998
Sparks, NV

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Darren it is possible that an El Camino column I have laying around may fit. The length from the under dash mount to the top of the turn signal collar, and from the under dash mount to floor plate and then the legth sticking thru the firewall will be needed to compare. I'll go get the measurements from the elky and get back to you.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
well with tape measure in hand I ventured over the elky, but on the way I ran across a shift tube that I had already removed. I see the plastic parts you were referring to. Since the one you have had been collapsed do you know how long it was supposed to be? This one is 28" long overall and I believe it came from a 70 Malibu column. It appears that the shift arm on the lower end is only pressed on and it may come off if it is a different shape than your Nova. If this will work I'll send it to you.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If the elky one does not work I have a complete column from a 69 Nova. It is column shift. I just need to remove the steering wheel. I won't give it away, but am always up for trading!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Philip, it is in my nature! I'm not really trying to steel the show, just making available extra parts I have! Also I will be travelling to San Fran next week and could take it with me if he wanted to make that drive even though it would still be more expensive than shipping from PA. I think a complete column cost around $15.00 to $20.00 to ship as long as I remove the shifter and turn signal levers. (Can put them in the box, but removing them makes the package a lot smaller.) Also if we trade something we would just pay shipping on the part(s) we are sending, so no money would have to change hands.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shipping costs and a couple of bucks gas money to run to the post office. I just need to figure out how to package it. PM or email your address and I'll have the post lady get a cost for you.

PM sent

·
Registered
938 Posts
what do you need?
I need a three speed manual floor shifter, eyebrow trim, Package tray corners, almost any interior surface pieces that are better than I already have (i.e. headliner, sunvisors, dash pad, carpet, door panels, package tray cover...), front bumper filler (metal piece and plastic cover), rear bumper, battery tray, Rear axles for a Nova 10 bolt with 28 spline and no signs of wear, and I'll look at any Pontiac engine parts you might happen to have! If you don't have any of that PM me and we can discuss a price. Since this isn't the classifieds section I would prefer to keep all of that out of this section, otherwise Phil will thump me! :)

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
I need a three speed manual floor shifter, eyebrow trim, Package tray corners, almost any interior surface pieces that are better than I already have (i.e. headliner, sunvisors, dash pad, carpet, door panels, package tray cover...), front bumper filler (metal piece and plastic cover), rear bumper, battery tray, Rear axles for a Nova 10 bolt with 28 spline and no signs of wear, and I'll look at any Pontiac engine parts you might happen to have! If you don't have any of that PM me and we can discuss a price. Since this isn't the classifieds section I would prefer to keep all of that out of this section, otherwise Phil will thump me! :)
It sounds like you need most of the car :D
I do believe the 65 - 67 Chevelle 8.2 10 bolt axles will work in the 68 - 71 Novas with 8.2 10 bolts. The splines on the 64 axles are not cut as deep as 65 and newer. They may work as well, but the later Chevelles are to long.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It sounds like you need most of the car :D
I do believe the 65 - 67 Chevelle 8.2 10 bolt axles will work in the 68 - 71 Novas with 8.2 10 bolts. The splines on the 64 axles are not cut as deep as 65 and newer. They may work as well, but the later Chevelles are to long.
Mostly the interior pieces. I got all the rare options, tach dash, center console with gauges, tilt steering column, special heater duct, correct bucket seats (even though I have a pair of 69 Z-28 seats that I plan on using), correct bucket seat tracks, B-pillar covers, A-pillar covers, wind lace, SS steering wheel shroud, kick panels, and manual pedals. I also have most of the little stuff, but it is in poor condition. I can buy most everything else new, but why if I can get a good deal on origional stuff. The biggest problem is finding a 3 speed manual shifter that will come up through the console correctly. I will probably end up altering an aftermarket one to fit! I have a welder and a saw, so I can make anything fit!:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the parts Phillip!
it turns out my entire column was compressed [collapsed] 1 3/8"
i got your column & shift tube + another complete column just in case*
so i installed the other column & everything works perfectly,
so if anyone else needs some column parts for free [just pay shipping let me know!!

thanks again everyone who helped!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts