Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What years steering column will fit my 74 Nova? And out of what GM products? I need one that is for a stick on the floor as I put a 5 speed in my car. Thanks for the help, Scot

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think their are to many to really list. A safe starting area would be any 68-74 Nova steering column, 67-69 Camaro and Firebird, then we get into some strange areas. Alot of other chevies have extensions on the bottom to make them long enough for thier application, but the extension can be removed and the column put into your Nova. This winter I'm going to look at a 66 impala column and see if it will fit and a 72 chevelle steering column. (just happen to have access so I figured I would just see!) I think I also have a steering column from a 67-72 truck here but it looks alot thicker than my nova column.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i got mine off ebay.. dont remember what they said it came out of but its all reconditioned and looks great. was about 300 shipped..

·
Registered
938 Posts
Sytar 69 said:
What about one out of a 82-90 Camaro?
I think that is way to new in style. If you already have it try to fit it up and then let us know. If you do not have it I would say the odds that it would fit are worse than your odds on vegas slot machines.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
There were a couple of changes to look out for. 69 was the year the key went to the column. Around 78/79 the end of the shaft going thru the column changed from splines to a D shape on many GM cars. The easy way to tell the difference is the splined joint uses a bolt on the side to pinch a clamp on the splines. The D shaft has a bolt right thru the center of the shaft.
I have a 4th gen column out and can measure it for you if that will help. I am putting a tilt/telescopic column in my 75 that I removed from an 82 Eldorado. It is only going to require minor changes at the floor to fit and a different intermediate shaft that is D shaped instead of splined.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think they make a cover plate that goes around a stock column shift car and covers the shifter hole. Since you are not looking at origional appearance anyway you might want to look into this option as it is probably the easiest!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts