Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have another question. I bought the new springs and shocks for my 73 SS from advanced auto when i rebuilt my front end. Do any of you all have the cheaper monroe shocks on your cars? Im having issues with either the springs or shocks, but im leaning towards the shocks bc springs are kinda standard. Anyways, the front end seems really soft....too soft for me. When i hit hard dips or bumps, the front suspension bottoms out slightly. Is this because of the el cheapo shocks you think? They were like $30 for the pair, but they were monroes, so i figured they wouldnt be too bad. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

G

·
i think the springs hold the weight and the shocks dampen/remove the bounce of the car.

heavier duty springs heavier duty shocks.

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Soft suspension will be due to soft springs (low spring rate). The higher the number the stiffer the springs. You can have a spring that is too stiff in which case the front end bounces rather than follow the road surface. Too soft or too hard is a problem.

Shocks are valve to act quickly in dampening the oscillations or slowly. That is why a worn out shock will bounce a few times before the car settles. The hole that is an orifice for oil or gas to pass through has eroded to the point where too much fluid passes at a time to offer any dampening.

Price isn't always an indicator of quality. I use Bilstein shocks which are guaranteed for the life of the car. So with a thirty five year old vehicle with 450,000 miles on it I am working on my fourth set of shocks that I paid for back in 1977.

Big Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts