Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set of reworked stock heads. Currently there are no guideplates, and I was wondering if they are needed. These heads will be going on a 400SB, with a Comp 280 cam. The springs can handle up to a 500 lift.

I was told that guideplates would not be neccessary by the machine shop. Is this true, and would it be ok to run them without guideplates?

thanks

so-cal Jack

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Modern heads do not use guide plates, they use self guiding rocker arms instead. If you are not running a lot of lift (defined as causing the push rods to come in contact with the head as the valve is lifted off the seat) then the heads will work fine with self guided rockers (roller rockers are available in self guided in both 1.5:1 and 1.6:1).

Big Dave

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the response. I appreciate your time and patience with me. You don't know how much of a relief it is to hear feedback when you're stressing over something, and the information is in your favor.:hurray:

So-cal Jack :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.