Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone around here getting the snot shocked out of them like me lately? Seems like every day for the last week and a half everytime I get out of the truck I get lit up! It's gotten to the point where I've gotten into the habit of using my back or shoulder to shut the dagum door. Anyone got a ground?

Jimmy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
When I used to work in a warehouse, our forklifts had white rubber tires on them. For some reason the white rubber tires would make the lift more shocking. Some built up so much static, that the arc would jump a couple of inches. the mechanic's solution was ground straps that hung underneath the lifts, and drug on the floor, just enough to allow the static to go to ground. Around here, I have actually seen a few cars that had a wire hunging from underneath, that was just long enough to touch the ground, again just enough to allow the static to go to ground.

Randy (hang it in the middle, where it won't be noticed);)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
I get shocked most of the time. I found that when you are getting out of the car/truck, open door, reach out and get a hold of the outside of the door, then get out...no shock. If ya get out, then grab the door...POW. A lot depends on what your wearing also. I have a couple nylon jackets that will lite me up if I forget.

Don (helping I hope)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
You end up sleeping alone but it's fun to shuffle up to the wife and zap her with a good spark off the fingertip. It is amazing how far the spark will jump in the right conditions. After the spark all hell breaks loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
The reason you get shocked more at certain times is based on the humidity in the air. I work on electronics in the USAF. When working on micro circuits they actually have humidifiers to add humidity to the air to stop Electro Static Discharge (ESD) That little spart to use is the same thing as lightning to a micro circuit.

This is off another web site. "When the air is humid, water molecules can collect on the surface of various materials. This can prevent the buildup of electrical charges. The reason has to do with the shape of the water molecule and its own electrical forces. Thus, static electricity is formed much better when the air is dry or the humidity is low."
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top