Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nova » Suspension » Shocks/Sway Bars » Rear Shock Absorber Mounting Plate/Relocate Kit » 797NLHRH
The shock absorber mounting plate bolts to the bottom of the leaf spring with U-bolts, and the shock absorber bolts to the plate. Constructed of stamped steel. This replacement part is 2" longer than the original, but the excess material may be removed if desired.Part # Description Price Add to Cart
797NLHRH LH/RH rear shock absorber mounting plates fit 1968-1973 models (correct for 1970-1974 with RPO-F41 Special Performance Suspension with sway bar mounting bracket). $159.00

This GM service-replacement plate is correct for multileaf spring assemblies but will also work on monoleaf suspensions. This part is 2" longer than the original, but the excess material may be removed if desired. NOTE: The only way to determine if your car was originally equipped with a RPO-F41 Special Performance Suspension is to check the build

·
Administrator
9,470 Posts
Nova » Suspension » Shocks/Sway Bars » Rear Shock Absorber Mounting Plate/Relocate Kit » 797NLHRH
The shock absorber mounting plate bolts to the bottom of the leaf spring with U-bolts, and the shock absorber bolts to the plate. Constructed of stamped steel. This replacement part is 2" longer than the original, but the excess material may be removed if desired.Part # Description Price Add to Cart
797NLHRH LH/RH rear shock absorber mounting plates fit 1968-1973 models (correct for 1970-1974 with RPO-F41 Special Performance Suspension with sway bar mounting bracket). $159.00

This GM service-replacement plate is correct for multileaf spring assemblies but will also work on monoleaf suspensions. This part is 2" longer than the original, but the excess material may be removed if desired. NOTE: The only way to determine if your car was originally equipped with a RPO-F41 Special Performance Suspension is to check the build
These will still leave you with staggered shocks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would you look at that. I join up and I find a thread that will give me what I want almost instantly.

I've been looking for a pic of the stock rear suspension set up (mainly shocks) on a Nova for a while now. All I have to do is wait for Billy to find a site to host his photos!

*Waiting eagerly*

(The Nova I am going to be fixing up is missing it's rear shocks currently. If changing to a non-staggered set up will help, I might consider it.)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Since I didnt want to mess with moving my shocks I just ordered two right hand brake calipers, left side is in front and right side is in the back. trust me no one will ever notice.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You dont havy issues with the calipers being staggered
mine on the left is at 11 and the right side is at 2. someone said that it would not work correctly thay.
Billy
NorCalNova
:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
9,470 Posts
GM changed to staggered shocks to help control wheel hop. GM also developed rear disc brakes for the later Camaros that were compatable with the shock arangement. My rear disc set up was removed from a car I was parting out, so the FREE part was worth a little extra work to install. The Cadillac rear disc set up I am using requires both calipers t be facing rear for the parking brake to work. I like the set up because both cables run forward along the drivers side with the crossover being above the rear axlenot under the exhaust and drive shaft. The parking brake is also the adjustment to keep the pads out close to the rotor. With a manual transmission the parking brake will be used whenever the caris parked. Last night I made the final modifications on my relocation bracket. I will post some photos later.
I had considered moving the shocks inboard like Roy did but the exhaust pipes run right through the place the shocks would have been.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
thats my issue still i purchased those shock plates from dse but for handling purposes i wanted my shocks to be stggered. i can move my driver side caliper to the 11 position
and alittle work to the brake lines and e brake.

·
Administrator
9,470 Posts
You dont havy issues with the calipers being staggered
mine on the left is at 11 and the right side is at 2. someone said that it would not work correctly thay.
Billy
NorCalNova
:thumbsup:
Just make sure the bleeder is at the top or you can not get all the air out.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts