I have a 73 nova and just converted the rear to disk.but found out that the shocks are staggered.The driver side shock need to be moved in front of axel with new plate. cause it hits the bracket for the caliper.
Still searching ebay.
with the kit I have the smallest shim on the inside of the plate.And it is aligned pretty
good I have seen where you can relocate your shock to the front of the axel. But i was hoping not to do that.
I made my own for the top and using 67 Camaro lower plates. The top plate bolts to the existing shock mount holes and moves the shock forward. Only one hole needed to be drilled into the body. I'll take some photos and post them as soon as I can.
You can buy new plates with double shock mounting holes from Speedway.com. You can not just bore a hole in the trunk and move the shock inboard for two reasons, First the shock isn't long enough to strech that far without loosing suspension travel. Second, the upper mounting plate has to be reinforced. It exerts a tremendous load that will tear through the sheet metal of the trunk. Competition Engineering and DSE sell a shock relocation kit to move shocks inboard to clear big rubber in the back. It is esentially a 2"x2" DOM square heavy wall tube with gussests and mounting plates to weld into your frame rails above the axel, and two new shock mounting plates.
Actually on the models with the staggered shocks the brackets are both the same, swapping sides does no good. The 67 Camaro is the only year that had both shocks on the same side of the axle. In 68 on the Camaro and the 68 - 79 Nova all had staggered shocks.
I used the DSE plates for the 67 Camaro, besides moving the shock location they are 3 times as thick as the stock units.
Stock plates neext to the DSE
installed pic (this is the passenger side)
I'll go out to the shop and snap a photo of the relocation bracket I made. Again it will bolt into the stock location and has spacers to make it fit at the angle needed for the shock to install properly. The stock location really isn't that beefy, just an 1/8" peice of metal welded to the body sheet metal.
Sorry about the delay, I stopped to eat dinner; pork chops, mashed potatoes and corn. Real good
Anyway here is the bracket. Another inch will be trimmed of the rounded end and 2 of those bolt holes will be used to mount it to the existing mount. The hole on the other end will be used to secure that end to the body. The large square hole is for the top of the shock to fit into and the mount holes in the reenforcing plate are threaded for the shock bolts. I still need to weld the two pieces together, pretty it up a little and paint it. It does fit well and the shock mounts in the same location and at the same angle as the passenger side.