Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nova is nothing but rust. well, there is a small portion of the car that isnt rusted out but other than that, it is a beautiful shade of brownish red. What is the best way to begin taking the rust off? I will be doing the bulk of sanding by hand for fear that a sandblaster would create a hole in some areas. What grit would be best to start out with?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
You could look into soda blasting the car to get the rust off. It does work pretty well, but be prepared, it will make a mess. I am still finding the material in my car.

When you say "rusted out" are you referring to surface rust or cancer? You can knock down surface rust with a 120-180 grit pretty easily. I know an 80 grit would really knock it down fast, but you run the risk of gouging the metal and then you just have to fix it later.

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
Have it blasted with aluminum oxide or soda if it is paper thin metal. If it is that far gone the metal will have to be cut out and replaced anyway. So how much of your car are you going to have to replace? Knowing you have to buy another Nova for the sheet metal parts as a lot of it isn't reproduced. Would it be cheaper to use another Nova as a project and keep this one for a parts car?

Big Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say that about 95% of the car has surface rust. Overall its pretty solid, the main areas of really bad rust are on the hood where there are two actual holes about the size of a dime. There is also some rust on the bottom where the fender meets the wheel well.
The car was last driven in '99 and was in the process of being sanded when it's owner had a stroke. I assume that the surface rust came in between then and now. I'll look into soda blasting, it sounds like a viable option. Hand sanding sound like the cheapest option though I probably won't use the 80 grit. definitely don't want gouging!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.