Chevrolet Novas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a rebuilt 8.5 rear end from a 74 Nova that is in my 1968 nova. Had it rebuilt about 10 years ago but only has a few hundred miles on it. Pulled the diff cover to install willwood rear brakes and notice that one of the teeth are broken off the ring gear. Never felt an issue while driving it so don't know how long it has been like this. Can I replace just the ring gear or do I need to get a new set with a new pinion gear also? Is there a problem just leaving it as is with the one broken tooth and driving it like that? Thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
You would need to get a new set since these are mated, they definitely need to be changed, just a matter of time before the rest of that tooth breaks off and destroy the whole thing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Was the broken piece still inside the axle housing? Like 62 Nova Wagon has

said, it all needs to be changed as they have a pattern that needs to mate with

the other. I have never been that lucky to have what you have and not been

heard or worse.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the price that broke off is in one piece still and was right in the bottom of the diff. Glad it wasn't worse for sure. Just weird that I never felt or heard anything. I only noticed it because I was changing the gasket for the diff cover leaking.

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
You were very lucky that the piece fell out of the way immediately when it broke, usually it gets captured in the oil and ends up staying there and run over by the pinion gear, that's when you hear and feel all kinds nasty stuff and end up with destruction, lol..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I remember my uncle's Nova suffered from broken tooth back in the 2006. The replacement was a set and it runs great. I helped him install the new leather seats and new set of tires from 4Wheelonline back in 2017 before he sold it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts