Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 Nova with standard bucket seats that only allow you to tilt them forward to access the rear seat. I need to put reclining seats in the car and wonder if anyone has made this swap, and if so what did they use? I have found aftermarket companies which offer reclining seats, however, none are power if I decide to go that route, and I would really like to find some from a donor vehicle.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Try an E series Mercedes Benz. Very comfortable leather upholstered, five way electric powered bucket seats with lumbar support. They will recline; but they will not tilt forward to allow access to the rear seat as they are designed to fit in a four door sedan. You will not find a reclining seat that also flips forward so you will have to decide what do you want out of your seat.

No mater what seat you buy; whether out of a Mercedes, or a third gen Camaro, you will have to fabricate your own seat frame to fit the car body as only the original seats with seat tracks will bolt in. Keep in mind in addition to the stock Nova bucket seats the bucket seats out of a Chevelle will also fit the Nova seat tracks. The Chevelle buckets are reproduced but the Nova seat tracks are not.

Big Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is good news Philip, however, do they just bolt in or do you have make custom mounting brackets to fit the tracks for these seats?

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Most times modifications are needed, It is best to find some that fit somewhat close to keep the mods needed to a minimum. I find it easier to modify the floor than the seat.

I had to lower the floor where the bench seat mount was and weld in mounts for the other 3 positions to install the GTO seats in my 72 wagon. Also slightly modified the rear mounting points of the seats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.