Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally have my rear end in, and I acquired a Firebird rear end with Disk brakes, I mounted every thing up with spacers etc... and LOW AND BEHOLD the right side shock is in the way of the caliper... UUUGHhh.

So looking around at conversion kits it seems none of them will work with staggered shocks..

Anyone running rear disk brakes? how did you get around the staggered shocks?

I'm thinking about relocating it the rear of the of the axle... CUT, GRIND WELD... LOL

THANKS for the input

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Philip our Senior Moderator has posted a number of step by step procedures to install the same brakes you have (his where off of a Cadillac Seville which is a Nova made by Caddy in 1979). If you check the search feature you will find all of his many posts on the subject. And yes he did move both shocks to the rear using mounting plates he bought on Speedway and used by the makers of slapper bar traction control devices.

Big Dave

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
I removed the Cadillac brakes and now run the 98 - 02 F body rear brakes. I mounted them on opposite sides, that is the one marked L on the right and the one marked R on the left. This allowed for easier attachment of the park brake cables to the stock intermediate cable. Mounting this way the drivers side shock was in the way and I did move it in front of the axle. Moving the drivers side shock forward was easy. A pair of 67 F body lower spring plates were used for the bottom mount and I fabricated a bracket for the upper mount. The upper mount attaches to the stock location and extends forward. A bend was made to mount the shock vertical like the passenger side. A forward mounting bolt was added to secure the front of the new bracket to body. It goes through to the trunk.

This is the second design, the first one did work well.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Some photos of the brake install. Next time I drive the Nova to Mesa you are welcome to come see how it all fits. Lower plates were purchased from Detroit Speed and Engineering.

Driver side with the shock moved in front of the axle

F body brake cable in factory Nova bracket and attached to the stock intermediate cable

Drivers side from the rear, showing the cable and hose attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Calipers look nothing like these...
My Park brake cables come straight out at 90 deg from the Rotors / Calipers.

I was dumb and torqued the dif cover and filled with oil prior to installing it with the new springs and bushings, Duuu.
I thought about flopping sides but was not sure about having the calipers on the rear instead of the front..
Ill keep you all posted and search the forums, for this topic

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Dave you are using the style just prior to the ones I have. It is better than one it replaced as far as reliability. One shock will need to be moved, I chose the drivers side so the lower bracket would not have to be fabricated and the shocks were both vertical, but moving the passenger side back will work too, so will moving them inboard. With a torch, welder and dome steel anything is possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the calipers I currently have are more reliable..? that's a good thing!
I'm thinking about getting these for $20 a piece that's cheap and easy
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Lower-Shock-Mounting-Plate,3528.html

Now I only have to make a top bracket, Figure out the brake line connections and also figure out the Park brake cable.

Below are some Pics, went out to take these Pics and the Pinion Seal is leaking... You have got to be kidding me....

I'm hoping after a short drive it will stop?

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Seals do not stop leaking, probably going to have to replace it. As far as more reliable, that was referencing the previous style with the parking lever rod that went through the housing and actuated the piston to set the brake. Your park brake moves the caliper on the mount to set the brake. Why have you mounted them so low? In that position it seems like they would be prone to catching road debris.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that was the factory mounting location from the firebird rear end.
Im going to swap side and use the Speedway lower spring mounts to relocate the shock to the front of the axle..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I finally got her on the road after taking a bunch of time off from neck surgery.
relocated driver shock so both calipers are in the rear.
park brake cable done etc...
So here is my issue, I do not seem to have much braking pressure to the rear calipers. So little that the front rotors are glazing as if they are overheating due to doing all the work.
here is a link to a master cylinder and booster assembly very similar to what I purchased and installed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Dual-Zinc...unting-Brkt-/191511150097?hash=item2c96f43e11

I thought maybe a proportioning valve, but it seems most lower pressure to the rear.
I have bled the rears over and over again. any ideas?
thank you all

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
If you have a proportioning valve on your car from a previous front disc rear drum than that is probably the problem. If you have a variable proportioning you can use that to trim the brake response to the rear such that the rear brakes do not lock up first at the hit of the pedal.

Otherwise I am thinking mis-matched wheel piston size to the master cylinder size (consult Pascal's Law).

Big Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am using the Disk/Disk proportioning valve that came with the Master Cylinder / and Booster.
I will check the line going to the rear to see if there is something there left over. I know there is a Tee on the axle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.