Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to look at a '66 L79 SS this week. It has shorty headers so I'll be looking for manifolds and also I can't recall if the '66 L79's had 10 or 12 bolt rears. I'm told it has a replacement block so don't know how the clutch linkage was made to work.

So DO the '66 L79's have 12 bolts
AND
What is the configuration of the exhaust manifolds and what's the best source? I think the entire exhaust system is muffler shop stuff from what I've been told so I plan on putting a Gardner system on it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Going to look at a '66 L79 SS this week. It has shorty headers so I'll be looking for manifolds and also I can't recall if the '66 L79's had 10 or 12 bolt rears. I'm told it has a replacement block so don't know how the clutch linkage was made to work.

So DO the '66 L79's have 12 bolts
AND
What is the configuration of the exhaust manifolds and what's the best source? I think the entire exhaust system is muffler shop stuff from what I've been told so I plan on putting a Gardner system on it.
Yes, for sure it would be a 12 bolt.

The exhaust manifolds are identical to a 283 or a 327/275 horse engine in a Nova. There is nothing special about an L79 Nova exhaust manifold so you should be able to find some easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Actually I had one of these cars many years ago that was original engine and original paint. I was pretty sure I remembered it being 12 bolt but also though it had 2 1/2" exhaust back to the mufflers with smaller tailpipes. If they have the same manifolds as the other smallblocks I guess they'd be 2" all the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Carl's statement is correct about the manifolds - they are the same as the 275 horse, 3849288 RH, 3790729 LH. I do differ from Carl in one respect - if you are looking for date coded manifolds, they are tough to find. They differ from the low horse manifolds (and 283's) in outlet size. There is one set on eBay at present in the $900.00/set range, which I consider a bit rich for my wallet (thank goodness I have my original pair). They are the same between 1966 and 1967 model years.

Standard small blocks can be adapted easily to the clutch setup for Novas - requires a bracket to relocate the block side bellcrank ball mount (relocated for the Nova for oil filter clearance). Here again, it really boils down to what level of restoration you want to achieve, a modified car or Day 2 is going to cost a lot less than restoring back to matching and pure stock.

L79 rear ends were indeed 12 bolts, with two different options available for the L79's (pretty sure when the L79 option was selected, these particular codes were mandated), the BQ code 3.31, and the FQ 3.07 code rears. What makes them different from the other 12 bolt rears available for Chevy ll's and Novas in '66 and '67 I haven't been able to determine yet, whether it's gears, gear treatments, side gears, bearings or what, but that's the way Chevrolet lists them. Specified either Spec. Hi Perf, or L79 only. Again, they really don't grow on trees (or does any 12 bolt Nova rear for 66-67's -).

Happy Hunting - hope you bring it home.

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Correction - 283's did share the manifolds with the 275 and 350 horse L79's - I sent before I proofread. The eyes are getting pretty old - or maybe it's the loose connection between the eyes and the brain.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts