Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be purchasing a set of rally wheels for my 66 ChevyII Nova(non SS) and am wondering what would the best rim size be with the best backspace?? I have been told that I can and cant use 15x7 with a 4.5 backspace. I would hate to order these and than find out that my tires rub! Is anyone using rally wheels and if so what is the best size of rim and tires to go with? My car has had no modifications and has drum brakes. Thank you, Dean......

·
Registered
361 Posts
Percy's make a tool now that measures what size wheel and rear spacing that will fit on a vehicle. You can get it through Jegs or Summit .It's around 90 bucks.Stock G.M. wheels are usually 3.75-4.00 backspacing .The rear spacing on my 76 Novas 14x7 rims are 3.75" .There seems to be a lot more room there .

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Good advise. Measure twice buy once. I used to run 15x6 American five spokes on my '67. Have no idea as to the back spacing (bought it new in '67 and slapped mags on it the same day). I do remember the first set of Goodyear raised white letters were reduced to white wall tires inside of two weeks. I stepped down from F70-15's to E78's brand X (Gillette red striped as I recall) to make it fit. But a tire/wheel gauge would have saved me two months grocery bagging wages had I tried it first.

Big Dave

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the same dilemna with my wheel and tire combo on my 71 Nova. The tire dealer that I went to go and purchase my tires did a test fit for me. I had two wheel sizes that I wanted, with one specific tire in mind. On my 71 Nova, the first wheel and tire combo was a 15x8, with a 255/60/15. This combo tucked under, but rubbed the wheel well. My other option was a 15x7 with 4.5 backspacing and the same tire. This fit perfectly, and has a nice look to it as well. I asked to have both sides tested, just in case if the rear end was not perfectly centered and to check for any other possible areas of rubbing to occur.

From what I was told from the owner of the place, was that a tire can be used to test fit, but NOT driven on. I believe most places have the same policy and will help anyone out in the same way. This definetly helps eliminate buying the wrong set-up, and also gives you an idea of how it will look.

The best part, was that it was free. (of course I tipped the guy doing all the work) :beers:

So-Cal Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts