Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
i don't know if my thoughts will be of help to ya...

is the car sitting on its wheels or is it on stands ?
if its under any stress that could distort the body and hinder the installation.
do all the body lines line up except the light pocket ?

what year car are we talking about... it might help knowing so those that've worked on that year car might be able to enlighten us with their experiences ;)

G

·
i'm thinkin' maybe SS 396 "Joe" might be able to help ya. he's a 3rd GennerMan and is very knowledgable... if he doesn't see/reply, you might try sending him a PM. he's a smart guy with these cars ;)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks,John.
Keith,I dont think the spring is pushing the floor up.Is the flange that the tail panel sits on straight,looks like there could be a high spot or the corner is bent down?Looks like aftermarket panels?Is the quarter panel where it needs to be?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I agree with SS 396. If the quarter panel not correctly lined up, your tail panel wont be straight. if you want to see an exaggerated version of this take a look at my profile and see my pics. the guy who put mine in was on crack, or at least crooked eyed. the cause, the quarter panel on one side is 1/4" higher on one side than the other panel. so when they put new quartes on, they get those lined up, and just threw the tail panel in there and didnt bother trying to fit it up, just tack welded it in place and let it rip.
Figure out what is causing it by takining numerous measure ments. you may have to trim here and there to make if fit correctly. take your time, and do not rush it!! :noway:

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
do you have new rear quarters???? or are they origionals???

I see what he is saying, and it could be because it is aftermarket piece. you know how some of the quality control is, espeically if it was manufactured over seas

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I not a body expert, but i dont know away to corect that. if you pull it down, you lose the line on your deck lid. if you leave it, you have that uneveness unless you apply body filler to it to reshape it.

G

·
I not a body expert, but i dont know away to corect that. if you pull it down, you lose the line on your deck lid. if you leave it, you have that uneveness unless you apply body filler to it to reshape it.

or cut & weld to reshape.

i'm not a "BodyMan" but with the experience i do have with aftermarket panels is they don't fit nor are they made as good as an original. i helped install door a skin & a 1/4 panel on a '67 that took quite a bit of modifying to fit properly.

after learning what i've learned my opinion of aftermarket sheetmetal has taken a 180* turn... USE ORIGINAL panels only.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
when I was fitting the qtr panel up to the door,trunk and tailpanel it was too high at the sail panel. If I lined every thing else up the tailpanel at the light would be off
i think the sail portion has enough metal to cut and make it fit properly. if you dont need the sail panel, you can always cut it down and make everything else match up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.