Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have another Quadrajet question. I've got a model stamped "7042220", which decodes as being built in 1972. It's currently on a 1970 BB/402 engine. There's some hesitation when accelerating from idle and I will likely end up rebuilding it. (I've got Doug Roe's book...and will finish reading it before I start anything.) But, I'm wondering if there are any significant performance differences between the orginal 1970 model and the 1972 version that I have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Doug Roe was an original Q-Jet engineer and his book is the best I have ever seen. I spent a week with Doug once and many hours on the phone with him.
The 72 got some jetting and other changes due to the smog calibration the 70 did not have.
There are many reasons for the hesitation, but they can be tuned out easily.
The Q-Jet is something of a pain to get just right, but will run with anything once sorted out and will run 60-75k miles without problems-try that with a Holley!!!!!
That's the kind of answer that I was hoping for - I've heard good things about Doug Roe's book and having a well-tuned Quadrajet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.