Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be pulling the engine out of my 70. I had planned on pulling the trans first. After looking at a few different posts around the net, I have read where some say pull them both at the same time. So, from someone who has actually done it, which way did you go and why? I do not want to remove the core support. I have an engine hoist and a leveler for it. Thanks...Tony

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pull them together, saves a lot of time. Especially easier than laying on your back pulling a trans. All you need to do is pull the crossmember and unhook linkage and speedo cable.

Think about this, if you pull the trans first, you need to get a jack under there if it's a auto other wise you can manhandle a manual. Used to blow the clutches all the time and I would sit the trans on my chest when I changed the clutch.

Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Bench pressing an auto tranny is fun,......everyone should do it at least once in their life.:D ..But anywho...You might want a second yoke for that tranny if you pull it with the motor or your going to have a lot of tranny fluid all over the place...the motor tranny combo together, unless the rad support is out of the car, will neerd to be angled quite a bit to get them out/into the car. Good luck which ever way you do it...personally I have always done them together....like I said bench pressing the tranny is good for ya;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Its a 4 speed car. I do not want to take the core support out. Will the leveler on the hoist give it enough angle with the trans still on the engine?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like to pull the engine and trans separately. It is just too hard to get it right sometimes and thats alot of weight hanging off the hook. When you have a $10,000 engine swinging over a $20,000 car, I don't take chances with flirting with disaster.

I can push or pull an engine in two hours taking my time and then the trans is about 30 minutes.

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
TDWZ28 said:
Thanks for the input. Its a 4 speed car. I do not want to take the core support out. Will the leveler on the hoist give it enough angle with the trans still on the engine?
Easily.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the engine is sitting on the floor. I went ahead and pulled the trans first. I think when I put the 427 back in it, I will install the trans on the engine and put it in that way. With the leveler, as 71 SS said, it looks like there will be plenty of room. Chris you are a lot faster than me. I started at about 9:30 and wasn't done until 2:30. I am getting old.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
69NovaSS said:
Bench pressing an auto tranny is fun,......everyone should do it at least once in their life.:D ..But anywho...You might want a second yoke for that tranny if you pull it with the motor or your going to have a lot of tranny fluid all over the place...the motor tranny combo together, unless the rad support is out of the car, will neerd to be angled quite a bit to get them out/into the car. Good luck which ever way you do it...personally I have always done them together....like I said bench pressing the tranny is good for ya;)
well shoot I made a mistake in this reply I meant to say I have always done them separately NOT together like the post said...it wont let me correct it so I have to do it this way....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts