Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this posted on some other sites, but thought I start the thread here as well in case anyone hasn't seen it. I've just cut and past from another thread.

Here's what the car looked like before I started tearing into it again.

Here's the car as it sits today

Here's some of the goodies I got today :yes::)

DSE Deep tubs

Moser M9 with back brace and G-Bar ready

AirRide suspension (same as a G-bar)

Wilwood brakes

Hydraboost system

I've had these for a while already, but these are the rims I have

So I thought I would finally do a build thread on my car. It's a 68 Acadian that I orginally bought for $700. When I got it, it was white with black racing stripes. I fixed the car up on a pizza shop manager's wage. I had it painted cherry red, rebuild the 350 and th350 and put on 15" cragar rims with BFGoodrich tires. Now that I'm a cop and make way more money than I did back then, I'm doing the car again...but the way I want to. My plans are as follows: (this will probably change many times as I keep changing my mind. I will update as I change my mind)

Pro Touring theme
18" Foose Nitrous II with Falken FK452 tires. 285-35-18 in the rear and 245-35-18 in the front.
Speed Tech subframe with Speed Tech high clearance tubular control arms.
Speed Tech 1.25" solid sway bar.
QA1 coilover shocks.
Wilwood 6 piston calipers with 12.2" rotors
AirRide rear suspension (Same as Alston G-Bar) with QA1 coilovers
Moser M9 housing
Moser axles
Wilwood 4 piston calipers with 12.2" rotors
Strange Pro Nodular centre section with 3.70 gears and half billet posi
DSE deep tubs
LSX454
Tremec TKO600
Flaming River steering column and steering wheel
Unisteer rack and pinion kit
JL Audio stereo (haven't decided what but will be big)
Custom paint job. Leaning towards ghost flames right now
and more to come.
I hope to get working on the car next week as the wife and daughter will be gone for 4 days. I will be living in the shop. Will update as I go.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Pro-Touring 68 Acadian

Here's the Wilwood master I got today also

I must say thanks to Frank at Prodigy Customs and www.gpsuperstore.com for all he did. I got smoking deals from him on the housing and the brakes. He also went out of his way to get all the brackets welded on the housing so I didn't have to worry about finding pinion angles. If you need parts...give him a call. He's great to deal with. Thanks also to Nightshade for the sheetmetal. He was also great to deal with. Thanks again Jeff...will be in touch again.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Today I was able to get the G-Bar/Air Ride rear suspension mocked up. It took some cursing and swearing, but not too much. Now I can get this thing as a roller and start putting the body panels on.

Bottle Jacks to help hold brace in place

Bottle Jack attached to main brace

Rear suspension is in!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well I haven't had a lot of time to work on the car since my last post, but I did get a few opportunities to get in the shop. I started doing the deep tubs install, but has taken longer than it should have. I originally cut a piece out of the floor and was going to stretch the wheelhouse, then I decided to do the deep tubs. I'm doing a lot of guess work as I can't measure from the stock wheelhouse location. My welder has become my greatest friend. Along with a sheet of metal to fill in when I cut too big. I've got the passenger side deep tub and new outer wheelhouse mocked up. I also put in a new trunk drop off. Now to mock up the quarter panel to make sure my outer wheelhouse lip is right. I did find though that with the deep tubs and the 285/35/18 tires I have....I have almost 2" more that I can go. May have to get some 12" wide rims. Anyone looking for a set of 18" Foose rims and tires?? :devil: Anyways...here's some pics.

I had to cut a rusted piece off the rocker panel. Will be an easy patch.

Frame notched.

Wheels mocked up.

Quite a bit of room still.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So I finally got to go to Killer Customs and pick up my Speed Tech subframe. It is awesome!!!! And it was $1000 cheaper than some of the other companies (every penny counts). I also picked up my new Unisteer rack and pinion kit. Now if I can just get the deep tubs and quarter panels done...I can get the frame bolted up. Here's some pics.

G-Mod built in

Built in adjustable trans crossmember

Adjustable motor mounts

Billet shock mounts

Ready for some wider tires up front now

A feature I hope to never use, built in tow hooks

Sway bar mounts up front, not underneath where the frame can break (mine did)

Unisteer rack and pinion kit

Polished pump

Braided lines

Now back to the shop to see if I can get the passenger side quarters done today.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So I got the Speed Tech high clearance control arms and sway bar that go with the Speed Tech subframe. Now I have the entire Speed Tech subframe package, I just bought it in stages that's all. My plan now is to try and get the driver's side deep tub done and get the quarters on. Then I have to put the driver's side cowel panel on, finish welding up the new floor pans and I'll get to try out the rotisserie that I built.
Here's some pics of the Speed Tech high clearance control arms. These things are sick!!!

Upper Control arm with billet aluminum ball joint cover

Stainless Steel cross shafts

Lower control arm

Sway bar end links

1.25" solid sway bar

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well I got to work on the car for a few hours today, then the power switch on my air compressor blew. Wouldn't turn off at all. Thankfully I have a separate breaker in the shop for the compressor. Oh well..this way I'll be able to get a new on that regulates better for the plasma cutter.

Here's some pics of the passenger side that is mostly done. Still have some welding to finish up, but it's strong enough right now to be secure.
new quarter installed

Deep tub in

Today I started on the driver's side. Going to replace the outer wheelhouse, put in deep tubs, replace the trunk drop off and obviously the quarter panel. Here's some before pics:

The glue that didn't work :mad:

And here's what I got done before the compressor kicked out on me:

Since I had some spare time after the compressor died, I thought I would look and see how much room I actually have to play with now that I have the deep tubs. The tires that I have in these pics are a 285-35-18. I'll have to trim the quarter/outer wheelhouse lip as it's pretty tight, but wow what a difference. If anyone ever wondered if it was worth it...here's proof.

Gap between tire and wheelhouse/quarter lip

Distance between wheel and inner wheelhouse now

This is a 2 1/2" piece of square tubing that fit between the tire and inner wheelhouse

So now I am definately going to send my rims away and get them widened to 12". I need to find a tire though that will fit flush with the rim. Here's what I mean:

Anyone have any ideas? Well I've locked the shop up and will be off to New York on Sunday. In the mean time...off to KMS Tools so I can get my compressor fixed :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

So I got to work on the car for a few hours today. The driver's side deep tub is going pretty good. I need to cut out the pieces to fill in the frame rail and gap between the trunk and frame rail. It was also good, I looked at some 315 wide tires online and found that on a 11" rim, they will measure 12.6" wide. I cut out a 12.6" wide piece of cardboard and put it in the wheel opening. Lots of room all around!!!! Think I know what size tires I'll be going to.

Some people have asked about notching the frame rails when installing the deep tubs. Here's some pics of what the frame rail looks like notched. The openings will be filled in with some 1/8" steel plates and the tubs get welded to those plates.

Marking for the frame notch

Frame notched

Frame notched from underneath

Areas to be filled in with 1/8" steel plates

Hopefully I'll be able to get back to work on the car tomorrow and if not then, will be on Wednesday or Thursday as I work until then. Will post more pics as I go.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well I've made a bit of progress over the past couple days. I finished filling in the frame rails. I got the driver's side quarter panel fitted. Now I'm just welding in the outer wheelhouse, then I'll get the deep tub welded in and then the quarter panel. Here's a pic of the frame filled in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Made some progress on the car today. The driver's side outer wheel house and deep tub are in.

It was easier just to cut the old bracket out so I just made new brackets where the wheel house supports the rear deck lid.

I'm hoping to spend a couple hours in the shop tomorrow when my wife and daughter go to Kelowna, although I told her I would do some yard work also so we'll see. I should have the driver's side quarter panel on by the next update. Once the quarter panel is on, I will be replacing the driver's side cowel panel. I already have the old one off. It looked like someone had been in an accident as the old one was crushed in. I tried to straighten it the best I could.

Once I get the cowel panel done, I will probably cut out the firewall and put a smooth one in. Right now I'm leaning towards the Mike's Custom Cars inserts. I was going to make them myself, but after looking at several different pics, I think I do like it with the factory seam reproduced. I find it beind completely smooth almost too much and the seam adds just enough. I'm going to replace the driver's side also and then hide the wiper motor under the driver's side fender. Here's a link to the firewall panels I'm looking at. $145 for both.
http://www.mikescustomcars.com/projects/projects.asp?proj=CatalogProTour&album=1&pic=10
http://www.mikescustomcars.com/projects/projects.asp?proj=CatalogProTour&album=1&pic=6

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well I made the wife happy, I got up early enough to do some yard work and take a load of garbage to the dump...now the shop is nice and clean again :D

She took the daughter to Kelowna for a girls trip so that left me some time in the shop. I got the driver's side quarter on and am about half way done welding it on. The next chance I'll get to finish it will be next Monday. Here's a pic:

I also put both rear tires on to see how it looks. It looks awesome with the 285's, but I can't wait to get the rims widened and get some 315's, it will look sick :devil: Here's the 285's:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well today I only got to go into the shop for a couple hours so I thought I would work on the rotisserie to take a break from the car. I had already built most of it, but wanted to change some things and I finally got some good strong casters (capacity is 700lbs per caster). Once I get the rotisserie done, I'm going to put the Speed Tech subframe on it and do some cleaning up and then primer. Then I'm going to try a new product from Eastwood. It's a ceramic coat chassis coat. It has small pieces of ceramic in it and when it hardens, are you ready for this......................it's like a ceramic coat. I ordered some last week and hope to see it in the next couple days. Here's a link to it:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1596&itemType=CONTENT&path=32&KickerID=425&KICKER
Once I get the subframe coated, I'll put the car shell onto it and I plan on putting two coats of POR15 and then a coat of Raptor bed liner on top of the POR15. Should stop the rust and help with sound.
Here's a few pics of the rotisserie in progress:

The bars that will bolt up to the car

Bottle jacks (the same ones that I used to install the g-bar)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Got a chance to spend a good portion of the day in the shop today. The driver's side cowel panel is on, I finished welding up the floors underneath and I started putting the new tranny tunnel in. I actually got to put my new TKO600 into the car, even if it was only for a few minutes while I cut the hole out in the tranny patch. Tomorrow I hope to finish the tranny tunnel, finish welding up the driver's side quarter panel and then I might even start smoothing the firewall. Hopefully by next week it will be on the rotisserie. Here's some pics from today:

New cowel panel is in

Putting the tranny in with motor mocked up

TKO600 in the car

New tranny tunnel

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I spent another good day in the shop today. Just taking a break as the hand's getting sore. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, here's what happened: http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102493
I finished welding in the tranny tunnel. I also took the stock subframe off for the last time. I was waiting until I have the tranny tunnel fit and the quarters in before I took it off. If anyone is looking for a stock subframe in really good shape, I have an extra one. I decided to start smoothing the firewall today also. Everytime I've seen pics of a smooth firewall, no one has posted an in between photo. They are always before and after. I have an in between photo to share for those who are debating about putting in a smooth firewall.

Tranny tunnel in

Smooth firewall insert

Firewall before

Firewall cut up

Smooth firewall in. It still needs to have some minor adjustments and to be welded in

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Here's a couple more pics from today. I'm going to weld in some plug welds to add some strength to the smooth firewall. I'm using 16 guage sheetmetal so I'm not as worried about it warping. I was also able to smooth out the infamous area where most cars with an HEI distrubutor get the hammer treatment. It's not perfect, but it's better. I'll probably spend a bit more time cleaning it up before I weld everything into place. Here's the pics:

Smooth firewall with plug weld holes and held in place with cleckos

Smoothing out the hammer beating, will be easier to clean up with filler now

The next area to be smoothed

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I spent a couple hours between last night and this morning working on the firewall panel for the driver's side. It still needs a few adjustments before I weld it in. I'm going to put the wiper motor into the driver's side cowel panel so it's hidden under the fender. I'm just going to use the stock style as I really don't need to buy the DSE one. Here's some pics:

Firewall panel

Firewall before

Firewall cut up

Panel held in place with cleckos

Full smooth firewall, still needs to be welded in to place

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Today I spent about 4 hours welding on the smooth firewall panels. It sure takes a long time when you're trying to be careful and not warp. Hopefully the next time I post some pics, it will be of the car on the rotisserie. Tommorow I plan on getting as close to lifting her in the air as I can.

Here's pics from today:

Smooth firewall all welded in. Welds still need to be ground down and cleaned up

It's a good thing I plan on replacing basically everything inside the car. I didn't get rid of all the insulation on the firewall and next thing I knew, there was a fire under the dash

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

A few things have happened since my last update. Unfortunately I was in need of some money and I have been debating if the engine parts were the parts that I really wanted to use for my motor build, so I ended up selling all the engine stuff that I had. I still have the heads (AFR 210cc) though, which are for sale in the classified section. I've been looking at quite a few different options now. I was even looking at LS engines. The only thing about the LS engines...they're not shiny enough. I know I know....the shine doesnt make it go faster. That really doesn't matter when what ever motor I get it will be well over 500hp. I've also been looking at a Scott Shafiroff 434 crate engine that is 595hp. Right now I don't have the money to do the engine anyways, so I'm just throwing around ideas. Realistically I think I'll be ready for the engine by spring.
I did get some work done on the car (sort of). The way things were going I thought I'd never see the day when I would get it on the rotisserie, but here it is. I hope to get everything welded up tomorrow and hope to get a coat of POR15 on by Friday. Here's some pics:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I spent about 8 hours in the shop today. I was hoping to have it ready for under coating by tomorrow, but when I realized that's not going to happen, I figured I might as well call it a day. Only so much grinding and welding one can do in a day. I'm not trying to get a 10 point car or anything, I'm just trying to clean things up. I ended up getting the welding on the floor boards and tranny tunnel finished. The air bar is welded in place now also.

I did come across one issue. Both the driver's side and passenger side front eye mount brackets were welded to the body (some of you may have seen my thread about this) so I had to grind them off. Once I had them off though, the metal underneath wasn't that bad. I was debating about cutting a new piece and welding it in, but after cleaning up the metal some, I think I'm just going to fill the little holes in with the welder. Here's some pics:

Driver's side

Passenger side

Driver's side removed

Passenger side removed

I also decided to clean up the front where the new floor boards were welded in. I wanted it to look smooth and not see where the metal overlaps. I'm using Metal to Metal to fill it in. It's not done yet though.

Driver's side

Passenger side

The next picture, hopefully someone can help me. I'm going to have to fab up something to fill in this gap. If you've followed my build thread, you'll know that I replaced the quarter panels, trunk drop offs, outer wheels houses and put in deep tubs. I just noticed today that I have a big gap on both sides between the quarter panel and the trunk drop off. It's right below the deep tub. Is this common to have this gap when you replace everything??? Here's some pics:
This is with the car sideways on the rotisserie. It's the passenger side.

1 - 20 of 282 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.