Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am not sure this is the correct spot but I am looking for some feedback on how everyone manages/plans their restores. I am a project manager by nature and a computer guy by default. I want to be able to plan out my approach and identify next steps as well as form a budget so I can plan my build accordingly. so far after a quick google search I am not finding much very few project management plans and even less software available. The one below is really all I could find. Is everyone really doing this from memory or a spiral notebook? or just winging it ?

http://www.collectorcarcompanion.com/index.php

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Well your Gant charts are going to be dependent upon your best estimates of how long it takes you to do a job. If you are farming work out to a paint shop then think like Kirk when Spook said it should take days to fix the ship's engines, only in reverse. If they say it is a one month job figure a year. Also do not buy your crate engine until it is time to go for a drive (everything else finished and installed using a block and heads for mock up unless you want to spend $350 for a plastic long block). This is because the warranty starts when you give them the credit card number, not when you actually receive it or get it installed in your car.

When I had my shop, three mechanics and my health I could turn out a car in about two weeks time with only the mechanical upgrades, no body work. The custom painter next door to me in an adjoining shop took a year and a half to paint a Harley gas tank, a little longer for a full set of murals all the way around on a Van (remember those?). But it was worth it because he was a true artist: stoned out of his gord on drugs when not sniffing paint fumes but a great artist.

Big Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Big Dave. Love the Star Trek reference ha! I am not really looking to assign hard timelines as I know how that goes with this arena. More of a prioritized set of items that need to be done, inventory management, resources things along those lines. I can do it in a spreadsheet I guess but I was hoping to not re-invent the wheel(s) so to say. I am very amazed in todays day and age that no one makes a software to do this. I would have thought one would exist with ebay/ craigslist integration and parts tracker ect. Maybe I should build one!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Probably not a bad idea. I used a spreadsheet for mine to plan out the basics and some preliminary budgeting to get the gist. Then, I stopped because I dont like to see the amount of money that I have into a car.

But, it is all really dependent on what you plan on doing with the car.

First question: What do you want the car to do? Is it a drag car, show car, driver, pro-touring, etc.

If it is a full project, then what are the steps to reach your goals. (Paint is not the first step.)

Body - (assess the car)
Chassis/Suspension/steering -
*front & rear (I keep them separate)
Engine/Transmission/drivetrain
Brakes
Wheels/tires
Interior
Wiring
Bodywork
Paint

Or something to that effect...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably not a bad idea. I used a spreadsheet for mine to plan out the basics and some preliminary budgeting to get the gist. Then, I stopped because I dont like to see the amount of money that I have into a car.

But, it is all really dependent on what you plan on doing with the car.

First question: What do you want the car to do? Is it a drag car, show car, driver, pro-touring, etc.

If it is a full project, then what are the steps to reach your goals. (Paint is not the first step.)

Body - (assess the car)
Chassis/Suspension/steering -
*front & rear (I keep them separate)
Engine/Transmission/drivetrain
Brakes
Wheels/tires
Interior
Wiring
Bodywork
Paint

Or something to that effect...
Yeah that exactly why I want to do it! I want to keep track of what I am spending and help keep myself focused on a few tasks at once. my ADD *** can't seem to focus and that keeps me very much "oh piece of candy" while working on the car. If I had a checklist / plan that would help a ton. So now for your questions....

I want it to be street/strip I would like to have a really nice interior with power windows/ shaved door handles ect. but be able to throw some racing slicks in the back and drive it to the track. Chances are I won't see a ton of track time but would still like the option.

Body -(assess the car) - fill one hole near rocker on the drivers side about 2 inches x 6 inches
Chassis/Suspension/steering - I have lots of plans here not sure how to lay them out yet.
*front & rear (I keep them separate) so far the only thing I have here is powder coat or POR15 the subframe. for the rearend a rebuild and updated gears. perhaps a mini tub and pull the stock gas tank out and put it in the trunk as a fuel cell
Engine/Transmission/drivetrain - Motor for now I have a good 350 block ill build out until I can afford to have a bigblock built. Trans going to rebuild the 350 turbo I have now
drivetrain no real plans atm
Brakes-going to move the power steering and power breaks from the 77 over to the 75
Wheels/tires long ways away from that
Interior ]moving dashboard and most of the interior from the 77. going to use the gauges from the 77 here and move as much of the interior as I can. I also want to fabricate inner door panels out of stainless and possibly put in a roll cage eventually.
Wiring
Bodywork
Paint his is pretty much the last step. Ill need to prime it for now but I count paint as last.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could always use a spreadsheet but I was hoping someone had a good template.
Another thing that would be handy is to have access to it remotely via my phone for example if I goto a swap meet and see parts from say the front suspension for a camaro. Would be nice to look @ my plan see if I need those parts then verify that they will work for my car.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Well I have forgotten what car you have. The 1962-'67 being built before the Camaro was even though of shares few other than common parts such as window cranks, cigar lighters, dome light, etc.

With the 1968-'74 there are a lot of parts that are shared in common with the Camaro since the Camaro relied upon the Nova to pay for the common tooling. Anything suspension related (brakes rear end, A-arm, shocks, radiator, motor, tranny, sub-frame, pedals, etc.) even some sheet metal as from the fire wall break down to the toe boards and front half of the floor pan is basically the same part.

Because there are so many parts in common it is easy to think of the Nova as stretch limo Camaro (2-3/4 inch longer wheel base) prevents you from using the Convertible X-frame reinforced frame brace (a factory designed and built frame connector on steroids) and other goodies that are Camaro specific due to the difference in wheel base. If there is a part you need that you can not find for a Nova such as serious large primary tube headers try looking to see if some one makes that part for the Camaro. Odds are it will fit your Nova as well.

If you have a 1975-'79 Nova the sub-frame is different than the 1968-'74 as it went from a peculiar rear steer to the much more common GM front steer set up were the tie rod was in front of the axle. The Camaro's sub-frame differs from the Nova's sub-frame for these years. Though the A-arms of the '75 and up Camaro do interchange; as the second gen Camaro has a lower hood line so the radiator core support is located further forward on the Camaro than the Nova which is why the sub frame doesn't directly interchange. But all of the suspension parts from a 1975 to 1979 will interchange. In 1980 Chevy made a bunch of changes again to the suspension parts and Chevy engineers couldn't make up their minds on A-arm bushing size or ball joint sizes from 1970-'74. Those front end parts changed annually to a different size or combination of previous sizes. However disc brakes and other front suspension parts except the tie rod (the Camaro had an inch and an eighth wider track than the Nova) interchange as stated, and the Camaro offered rear disc brakes as an option, so even though you won't be able to afford a set of original rear discs they are reproduced.

The 1973-'74 are kind of orphaned because of the big bumpers. Ugly is more than skin deep. A lot of parts changed to make room for the bumper and the bumper mounts dictated by the 5 mph impact with zero dollar in damage rule. The biggest was the gas tank which also changed how it was filled. All of these changes resulted in different steel floor parts from the rear shock mounts back and different horns on the frame rails on the sub-frame. Vendors are quick to say parts don't fit, even though sometimes they do fit, just as often they don't. This explains why the price is lower for these two year cars.

Big Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah that is something I wont ever remember sadly. So having that info at my finger tips would be very helpful. As always you're a wealth of knowledge. Now if I could just remove some of the song lyrics and useless facts from my head I could download some of that info!!!!

I guess I am going to try the one program I found and see how it works out. If its useless I will go with a spreadsheet unless someone else posts a template they use.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
As a retired Industrial Engineer, with a strong second in computers (as they had no idea where to stick that discipline back in the sixties), I can tell you there are a lot of specialized project management software. Most of it is associated with building construction, but about all of them are next to worthless (at the very least overpriced) if you can wrangle a spread sheet. They exist only because the person that usually buys them is spending their companies, and not their own money, and they are just too lazy to create a spread sheet.

Big Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do project management for a living (among other things). I am fairly proficient with MS Project and it does have its positives but for something like this its not all that useful as I am not really all that dependent on resources and the time management aspect is not as important. I think what I may do is start a blog and start building out the plan there. In addition build a spreadsheet on google docs and link some important info there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to resurrect this thread...My ADD won't let me focus without building some sort of rough plan. Has anything changed since I posted this ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.