Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about changing the look of my 70 Nova from the current drag look to the pro touring look. I want to go with torque thrust II wheels and lower the car maybe an inch or so. Can someone give me the run down on what rim size front and back, back spacing front and back, tire size front and back and lowering method? Any help would be great.

here is my car as it looks right now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ordered new rims for my car today.. The Cenetrline Meteor

$1200 for the set of four.. 17x7 4" BS front and 17x8 4.5" BS rear. The rims are built to order so I won't get the for about two weeks.

Now I need tires.

Sorry but the Welds are spoken for.. My brother is buying them for his 84 fox body mustang coupe.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Scott,

First, I want to say Nice 3rd Gen!:thumbsup:

When you say you want a Pro Touring look do you mean ONLY looks or do you want to go deeper into what Pro-Touring is really all about. If it's just looks you may want to check out some Nova PT cars on:

http://www.lateral-g.net

http://www.pro-touring.com

Check out some of the photos and that should give you some great ideas as to the direction you can take your car. These sites can also provide you with information for as in depth a project as you want for a Pro-Toruing car.

There are also a lot of folks on here that are very well versed in any phase of Pro-Touring your car. Just go to the Pro-Touring section and ask away. Good Luck!:D

John

P.S. Not sure if the bolt pattern is right but these would look sweet on your ride:

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/5939468/vpcsid/8281612/SFV/32400

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx John for all the great info. The lateral-g site really helped with some pics of what I may want my car to look like. I don't think I am after the complete "Pro Touring" package but more of a look. I am willing to do any suspension work needed to improve handling. ride, and stance from stock but that is just something that is needed anyway due to a 39 year old suspension. I think I would like to set my car up somewhat like this white Nova from lateral-g minus the tall cowl hood.

White Nova Link

Again Thanx

ADMIN: Please feel free to move this post to the Pro Touring section. I am sorry for posting this here and should of looked further into the forum for the correct catogory before posting.

Scott,

First, I want to say Nice 3rd Gen!:thumbsup:

When you say you want a Pro Touring look do you mean ONLY looks or do you want to go deeper into what Pro-Touring is really all about. If it's just looks you may want to check out some Nova PT cars on:

http://www.lateral-g.net

http://www.pro-touring.com

Check out some of the photos and that should give you some great ideas as to the direction you can take your car. These sites can also provide you with information for as in depth a project as you want for a Pro-Toruing car.

There are also a lot of folks on here that are very well versed in any phase of Pro-Touring your car. Just go to the Pro-Touring section and ask away. Good Luck!:D

John

P.S. Not sure if the bolt pattern is right but these would look sweet on your ride:

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/5939468/vpcsid/8281612/SFV/32400

·
Registered
696 Posts
My .02!

Best and cheapest way to go would be to do a Guldstrand mod for the front suspension and freshen up all the bushings and ball joints. Maybe rebuild your steering box or put in a new quick ratio steering box.

Guldstrand and other invaluable info:

http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension.htm (It pertains to first gen camaro suspension but your's is almost identical to theirs so it all applies for the most part)

http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/ (Half way down the page Carl shows you how to make a homemade hydroboost braking system)

3 link or Torque arm/Watts rear end.

John

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pleas provide help or opinions..

I ordered the new Centerlines I listed above. I didchange the order on the rear rim from 4.5" BS to 4.75" BS

I am going with 17x7 4" BS front and 17x8 4.75" BS rear

I am really fretting over what size tire to buy for front and rear. I want not rubbing if posible. I am a nut about trying to keep the front and rear tire height the same. What will fill the wheel well and not cause any issues? ANY help would be great.. Thanx

I found this clean white Nova on a site provided by novanutcase. He is running 17x8's all the way around with 245/40 17's on all four. I bought 17x8's for the rear so I can't match that.

• 255/35 17 - 10" wide 24" tall
  • 225/40 17 - 8.9" wide 24.1 tall
  • 235/40 17 - 9.3" wide 24.4" tall
  • 245/40 17 - 9.6" wide 24.7" tall
  • 255/40 17 - 10" wide 25" tall
  • 225/45 17 - 8.9" wide 25" tall
  • 235/45 17 - 9.3" wide 25.4" tall
  • 245/45 17 - 9.6" wide 25.7" tall
  • 255/45 17 - 10" wide 26.1" tall
  • 215/50 17 - 8.5" wide 25.5" tall
  • 225/50 17 - 8.9" wide 25.9" tall
  • 235/50 17 - 9.3" wide 26.3" tall
  • 255/50 17 - 10" wide 27.1" tall
  • 205/55 17 - 8.1" wide 25.9" tall
  • 215/55 17 - 8.5" wide 26.3" tall
  • 225/55 17 - 8.9" wide 26.8" tall
  • 235/55 17 - 9.3" wide 27.2" tall

G

·
ADMIN: Please feel free to move this post to the Pro Touring section. I am sorry for posting this here and should of looked further into the forum for the correct catogory before posting.

i'm not the Admin but i can move the thread for ya :thumbsup: sorry i didn't see your note earlier. if assistance is needed in the future feel free to PM Philip or myself and we'll do what we can ta help ;)

JR

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm not the Admin but i can move the thread for ya :thumbsup: sorry i didn't see your note earlier. if assistance is needed in the future feel free to PM Philip or myself and we'll do what we can ta help ;)

JR
Thanx JR.. I wasnt paying attention when I first psted this.. This does belong in the Pro Touring section.

Any suggestions on the tire choice??

·
Registered
627 Posts
if you really really want to be safe run a 255 on the rear, i ran 275 on an 8" wide rim even against tire maufactures suggestions and i had no problems, but i was using a falken tire thats a small 275/40 series, went to a 275/40 nitto on my 18x9's and are a .5" taller tire..you picked a good rim size for the rear, but are your qtr panel inside lips trimmed? also depending on how much you lower the front end ( with stock upper control arms) your tire will some in contact with the fender liner bolt, i would have recomended at least a 4.5" on the front...but i will say this again it all depends on how low your car is. for whats its worth i dont know anyone on any site that has changed the suspension on there 3rd gen more than me. my list is huge. if you have a quesition feal free to ask.

this was my car 2 years ago with the very same bsp and rims you mentioned

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanx for all the info. My rear lip is still there. No trimming away, no rolled or rust. The car is all stock suspension. Did you mean 255/40's or 255/ 45's?? Do you think I will have troubles in the front with a 4" BS???

What tire do you suggest for the front..

great looking Nova BTW

if you really really want to be safe run a 255 on the rear, i ran 275 on an 8" wide rim even against tire maufactures suggestions and i had no problems, but i was using a falken tire thats a small 275/40 series, went to a 275/40 nitto on my 18x9's and are a .5" taller tire..you picked a good rim size for the rear, but are your qtr panel inside lips trimmed? also depending on how much you lower the front end ( with stock upper control arms) your tire will some in contact with the fender liner bolt, i would have recomended at least a 4.5" on the front...but i will say this again it all depends on how low your car is. for whats its worth i dont know anyone on any site that has changed the suspension on there 3rd gen more than me. my list is huge. if you have a quesition feal free to ask.

this was my car 2 years ago with the very same bsp and rims you mentioned

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hey Chuck good to hear from you again, hows the engine swap going?
Phillip, you would think times were good for all of these aftermarket vendors with the customer services I've been given, The car would have been on the road, but my headers that I ordered back in early December are still not here yet.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanx for all the info. My rear lip is still there. No trimming away, no rolled or rust. The car is all stock suspension. Did you mean 255/40's or 255/ 45's?? Do you think I will have troubles in the front with a 4" BS???

What tire do you suggest for the front..

great looking Nova BTW
I would recomend a 255/45 however they will be really tall, which will give it the old hot rodder look. the 255/40 will be a tad bit shorter. If the rims havent been built yet and your not running big rear disk brakes a 5-5.5" would be a good rim, just because if you plan up grading you have the room to do it.

I run a 18x9 with 5.75" bsp with no problems however my fender lips are trimmed. I wanted to go 6" bsp just because there is still more room on the back side of the tire but i'm glad i didnt because i wouldn't have had room to clear the calipers...

this will give you an idea of a BIG 275 on my rim combo, as you can see my fenders are trimmed, there is a decent amount of space with them trimmed ( even though it doesnt look like it) but with an untouched qtr panel it would be stuffing

·
Administrator
9,472 Posts
Phillip, you would think times were good for all of these aftermarket vendors with the customer services I've been given, The car would have been on the road, but my headers that I ordered back in early December are still not here yet.
Hopefully you will get the headers soon. We are trying to organize a Southern Arizona BBQ and it would be good to see you and your Nova there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.