Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I just changed intake and carb on my 65, 404ci and it seems to pop on accel at around 5000 rpms, It seems to me that the more I retard the timing the less it does it. I know the carb is good. Ithing the last time I put a setup on it ,it did the same thing, I think the timing is at around 30 full advanced. Thanks for any help, Im stressed, going racing for the only time this year in the am....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to be around 5 grand, my valve springs are not stock, I have been mesSing around all night. the more advanced,not retarded I go the less it does it. Infact It seems to be gone now. but my timing light reads about 20deg at idle now. maybe something is wrong in my dist?? its a malorry unilight. pain in my rear!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
is it a hei or magnetic pickup distributor,if its hei,toss it into the bonfire and buy and msd magnetic pickup with a 6AL box,these kits are aewsome,my buddie USED to run a mallory hei setup in his malibu drag car,and that thing was a peice of poop.always baking modules,once and a while it would short the module and miss real bad,not sure on the details of your ignition just thought i'd share my happenings.--Dan

·
Registered
64 Posts
what is your compression ratio and what octane fuel are you using. also with the timing low you will get this. on my car i have 13-1 compression, if i have to low initial timing it pops with crap gas. if i up the timing to around 22-24 initial, im fine, but it likes to diesel with 93 octane, whem i rum 110 im fine all around, i have had it to 7k no prob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im running 11.0 to 1 and 94 octain gas. Ive been messing with car off and on all week,its been raining alot:mad: got the timming advanced more and its running better, but it sat for a few days, I staered it up and it was running on 6 cylinders. 1 & 2 were not firing , 1 picked up after a few minuits but 2 is not doing well, ck compression, 185psi, I have spark and I pulled the valve cover and both rockers are moving well. Poss ignition?? mds 6a and a mallory unilight. I think tommorow I am going to bypass the msd box and see how it acts. I think If I let it warm up more all 8 will pick up. anyone ever see a msd box goof up like that?????

·
Registered
64 Posts
that sounds familiar, i am thinking it is your unilite, those dist. have a led light in them that likes to go bad, its somewhere around $100 for a new one, if you ever did any type of electrical work without disconnecting the battery, or you had a short somewhere it can feed back and screw up that led, they are real sensitive. bypass the box, and see what happens, if it isnt the box i would bet its the led, try a different dist.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have been messing with it all night, I put a scope on it and the ign is ok, I pulled the intake and it apears to be leaking between #2 and #4
intake ports, big ports and small gaskets. I hope this fixes it??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts