Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
9,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 73 GM changed to a new style mount on all models. It is a good design and addressed the safety short comings of previous designs.

The draw back is if you want to use polyurethane motor mounts only the insert is sold, the factory outer shell must be reused.

This procedure is for the 75 - 79 Novas all engines and the 73 - 74 small block and six cylinder Novas.

The 2 pieces of the mount are riveted together with a hollow rivet. Using a 13/32" drill bit the rivet was removed and the shell opened.

Next the parts were bead blasted, primed and painted.

The insert needs to placed into the shell with the lower (in this case also wider) of the ears towards the side with the wider spaced holes. It will go in the other way but the hole will not line up with the engine side bracket if backwards. Do one at a time and use the other as a guide.

I used the grease supplied for the suspension parts on the poly inserts where they contact the metal shell.

Then assembled the shell using bolts and nuts to hold it in place while the two halves were welded. The welding is not necessary but I think it makes the installation onto the frame easier.

When done they should be identical, there are no left and right.

If done correctly when the motor sits down on the mounts it will look like this

If the insert is backwards in the shell it will look like this when the motor is set in place.

·
Administrator
9,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am close Jay, real close. Waiting on interior right now, seats are at the upholsters. A little wiring to finish and then complete the brakes. I have the quick ratio steering gear cleaned and ready to reassemble and all new MOOG front end parts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Philip good job on those mounts! I havent been on here lately, but I'm doing an engine swap in my 86 2 door chev caprice, And I was just looking around to see if there was any information on removing the actual mount from the crossmember. I cant seem to get anything onto the bolt head on the inside of the frame. There are factory holes in various places, and I only managed to get one out.. There should be an easier way or getting them out without having to make some homemade, backyard wrench. It seems like I have to remove the lower control arm

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Phil, I ended up taking off the entire steering / suspension off the car. (part of my restoration i guess) But anyways, I took off the mounts too, much easier with the lower control arms off. So im thinking of ordering up these inserts here and do what you did.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-1116R/?rtype=10

Im a little confused now on where you said "the ears towards the side with the wider spaced holes" but once I drill out the rivets, and carefully match the old inserts to the new inserts, then put the cover back on, i should be okay. right? So welding isen't really neseccary correct? sole purpose is just to make it easier for reassemby

·
Registered
108 Posts
Recognizing that this is a Chevy Nova site, but also that the clamshell-style mounts were used by other GM brands, I'd add that if you have a Pontiac engine, GOOD LUCK, because the Polyurethane inserts for a Chevy don't work with the Pontiac brackets. I know of no manufacturer that sells the Pontiac-style Polyurethane clamshell inserts.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Check this out. I have the exact same mounts on my 76. I did the same as Phillip on the shells but rather than dealing with the pain of the control arms I just cut the bolt heads off with a torch. Here's my idea,get some 3/8" weld nuts from Jegs drill out the mount holes so the nuts drop in and heli arc weld them in. Done deal . What do you think about my idea? By the way Phillip nice job on the posting very good pics ,thanks

·
Administrator
9,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not sure the weld in nut will have the required strength. Welding the nut in will change the property of the steel around the weld, plus there is no pull through protection. Considering the mount would only need replaced once installing the bolts is not really a big deal. The bolts can be pulled in from the bottom with the lower arms installed using a fine wire wrapped around the threaded end.

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
Even I can get my paws through the hole to install the motor mounts. Might take me a few hours and you could learn a lot of new words if you hung around and watched. But I did this for every big block I had to install in Camaros or Novas. Admittedly I had the car on a lift as I got older and could afford them, but considering my size the car would have to be three feet off the ground any way for me to just get my arm vertical to work on the car or even crawl around under it due to my size (in 1972 I was 6'-6" and with two percent body fat weighed in at 280 pounds so I was bigger than your average bear).

I used a universal socket on the end of a two foot extension with a magnet in the socket to start the nut on the bolt with a new spring split washer. It was the washer that created the problem and in my opinion can be left off if you use RED 271 LocTite. That way you know it isn't going to come off and it sure beats fighting the split washer.

Big Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.