Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this balancer on my BBC 396. As you can see the SFI sticker has came off and I cannot tech untill I get a new sticker. I have no idea who makes/made this balancer. As you can see, it also has the cranktrigger magnets in it as well.

Any direction to search is apprecciated.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
I have no idea. It appears to be an aluminum shell bolted to another damper, so I would guess Fluidamper made it. (because it's old and it doesn't have a steel outer ring held in place by rubber, or has free weights in longitudinal holes bored into a solid steel hub).

Have you tried to take the crank pulley off of the motor to see if those weights just bolt on to the damper.

Big Dave

G

·
i have a related question... how would one go about getting a new SFI sticker without the part passing the SFI inspection for certification ?

that sticker means that the part is certified etc, correct ?

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
SFI parts have a limited life span usually. Everything from your roll cage to seat belts (things we think will last forever) are only SFI certified for a limited time. The only way to get a new sticker is with a new part usually. The crank triger normally isn't part of the damper (if they drilled into the SFI part they voided the SFI cerification by doing so).

Big Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tech inspector said to call them and say the sticker came off when I was washing it. He also said it's for that reason that dampners come with a card anymore rather than on the balancer itself. I know belts have dates they have to be replaced...but it seems illogical for me to replace the flexplate and trans shield (especially) just for date reasons. idk

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts