Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys running a 1" drop in the front or a 2.5" lift in the rear, or an all around drop, I want to see your pics of your suspension on your 4th gen

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Your suspension is already lower than the factory specified ride height by an inch and a half or two inches lower due to spring sag (that is front and rear). So all you need is a floor jack in the back to pick the rear up two inches and that is what your car would look like if you replaced your rear leaf springs with stock ride height springs.

Big Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your suspension is already lower than the factory specified ride height by an inch and a half or two inches lower due to spring sag (that is front and rear). So all you need is a floor jack in the back to pick the rear up two inches and that is what your car would look like if you replaced your rear leaf springs with stock ride height springs.

Big Dave
Practically guaranteed that the rear leaf springs are broken. Leaf breakage on F and X bodies is epidemic.

The front coils on 6-cylinder cars would sag so bad the car would scrape going over the arms of the old air/hydraulic one-post lifts. And that was twenty-five years ago. Strangely, we didn't see that extreme sag on the V-8 cars. Mom's '77 Concours was very low in back, not so bad in front. I didn't measure front ride height, but I'd love for it to be an inch lower than the OEM springs are now. The rear was pathetic. Replacement springs from Summit lifted the back end about one inch. I might be OK with that if the front were a bit lower. As is, it still looks low in back.

There are two ways of lowering cars: "soft" springs that deflect a lot when the weight of the car is on them (Typical Detroit Engineering) and "firm" springs that are made shorter. The firm springs are good for cornering, but reduce weight transfer on acceleration (and braking), which drag racers don't appreciate.

Before you buy replacement springs, figure out if you want tall, soft springs, or short, firm springs. The car will be night-and-day different to drive even if it sits at the same ride height.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Before you buy replacement springs, figure out if you want tall, soft springs, or short, firm springs. The car will be night-and-day different to drive even if it sits at the same ride height.
Amen to that. Went short and stiff on my Nova, didn't care for it to much. Have tall and soft on the Chevelle and enjoy the ride much more. Still corners well too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts