Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nova has a fever. The coolant has been boiling and going into the overflow tank. I just changed my radiator cap from a 13 lb cap to a 16 lb cap. I was wondering if that could have been the problem. Also I was wondering how much of an advantage it would be to have an electric water pump and fan as parts of my cooling system. Also was wondering what aluminum radiator would be and where I can find one that isn't too pricey. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
Save your money. Do not buy an electric water pump or an electric fan. An aluminum radiator is a good investment, but only if it is larger (thicker, since you can not go bigger in terms of length or width than what you have now most likely). Be sure your fan has a shroud. More blades makes for a quieter more efficient fan (if you have four fixed blades go to seven blades comtroled by a thermostatic viscous fan clutch). Also check lower hose to verify it isn't collapsing under suction of ater pump, and that the thermostat is functioning.

Big Dave

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
If you have a stock radiator an aluminum radiator is a good step. Griffen makes great radiators, look at summit racing and see what they have for your car.

Also, air/fuel ratio and timing also can make a difference. If there is too much or too little timing or too much fuel, you can overheat the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
X2 on both replies and yes a good aluminum rad does wonders for cooling , I have had a cooling problam in mine for a while , always running 200-215 deg with my small block 350 and electric fan and aluminum water pump and 3 core copper rad until i put a nice BECOOL aluminum rad in its place .Its only a 2 core rad but there are true 1 inch cores wich make the flow much much better and i think it was about $285.00 cad and my cooling problams are solved running 150 deg on highway and 180deg max in town mid summer in the beating heat :yes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.