Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a Nova and recently located. I havent seen it yet, its in a different state and i am going to see it this coming weekend. I'm not really sure what its worth since there arent many in this configuration. I was hoping you guys could offer a newbie to the Nova world some advice.

Here's the details: Owner is asking 14k

1968 Nova Supossidly excellent solid body with newer paint now badged SS
427cu BB(Block has never been opened and a documented 1968 dealer purchased)
4 speed unknown whether M21 or M22
Bucket seats
4:56 rearend

Any infro would be appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there a 12-bolt in the car? You'll have to see how it is in person,to make a fair determination, if I were you I'd try to find a real SS. I recently found a 1970 SS396 L78 car with the protecto-plate, just finished it up, and now just got a call and bought my deceased friends' 1970 Challenger R/T 440 car, a bit pricey but couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The guy is a personal friend of my family and hasnt driven the car in 3 years. He recommened it needed a tune up and valve cover gaskets. And i would def. want to change the 4:56 rearend. If i paid 14k and made these changes can i still get at least 14k back out of the car. I dont intend to sell the car but i dont want to get burried from the start.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If it's a real 68 427 BBC it's worth way more than 14K. If it's in good shape and the real thing. I'm thinking 114K would be real close.
http://www.novaresource.org/history.htm#Harrell

http://www.classicnovas.net/features/harrell/index.htm

While Yenko machines are arguably the most popular of the Nova supercar clan, the rarest Nova muscle cars are probably those prepped by drag racer Dick Harrell. It is believed that only 15-25 SS 427-powered 1968 Novas were sold by Harrell through a network of Chevrolet dealerships, each of which included a full limited warranty. Harrell was friends with high-powered Chevrolet dealer Fred Gibb and used COPO cars ordered by Gibb as the basis for the Novas he created at his high-performance center. Once completed, they were delivered to a dealer for the customer to pick up. Like the Yenko's, Harrell's Deuce received a complete makeover, which included a 450-house 427 big-block, fiberglass hood, rally wheels, Positraction rear end, underdash gauges and a competition-built automatic transmission. The cars also came with Jardine headers, 6.5 inch wide M&H slicks and traction bars. For $4,412, you could buy a car that stopped the timers in 12.05 seconds at more than 115 mph in the quarter.

Fred Gibb was heavily involved in drag racing when the L78 Nova was introduced in April of 1968. The L78 was doing well in the NHRA manual stock classes, but Gibb convinced Chevrolet performance engineer Vince Piggins to install the TH400 automatic transmission in L78 Novas so they could compete in the NHRA automatic classes also. NHRA required at least 50 cars be built and available to the general public before they would recognize them as stock for the automatic class. The 50 L78's with the TH400 (COPO 9738) were built during the first two weeks of July 1968 and delivered to Gibb's Chevrolet dealership in LaHarpe, IL, on or before July 15, 1968.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to check it out this coming weekend. I dont believe it to be a harrell car. Owner was told it looks like a baldwin Motion configuration but i dont know what to look for. Any info on BM cars? Where you able to purchase "crate" or replacement 427's in 1968. Owner says he has documentation on the engine. Not sure what he means.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts