Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

OD auto trans mods

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Dave 
#1 ·
I have read that none of the OD auto trans offered by GM in stock form will handle anything with decent HP/torque so I was wondering what has to be done to make one beefy enough to do so and if it was something that could be done at home? Also compaired to the TH350 are the various OD trans longer, shorter, or the same length?

#2 ·
Duane, the 200R4 behind the Buick turbo V-6 has to be pretty stout. The T-type Buick I have driven would go up in smoke on the 1-2 shift, and it had the stock 200 in it.
It has been posted before that a 200R4 out of a Buick GN or T-type, a Monte Carlo, and maybe a Firebird/Camaro (??) are built a little tougher. As far as doing it yourself, if you have a good manual, and a very clean work area - maybe. I don't know if there are any special tools required.

Randy (NPHNP):)

#3 ·
72GreenRally said:
Duane, the 200R4 behind the Buick turbo V-6 has to be pretty stout. The T-type Buick I have driven would go up in smoke on the 1-2 shift, and it had the stock 200 in it.
It has been posted before that a 200R4 out of a Buick GN or T-type, a Monte Carlo, and maybe a Firebird/Camaro (??) are built a little tougher. As far as doing it yourself, if you have a good manual, and a very clean work area - maybe. I don't know if there are any special tools required.

Randy (NPHNP):)
Well thats cool to hear...I have always heard that they wouldnt hold up but the cars you listed with OD tranies in them are the very ones I would have thought would be beefy enough out of the box...Its not like I'm thinking I'll have 500HP at the rear wheels when I'n done....just at the flywheel is all...:rolleyes::D

thanks Randy:)

BTW the 500HP comment is just me dreaming again...

Hey do you know if their overall length is the same as a TH350?

#4 ·
Well, Kev had a 200 in his Nova until he blew it up, then he put a 350 back in. You know that poor college kid doesn't hae the cash flow to get drivelines shortened and lengthened on whims. Everything I have heard is a 200 will be almost a direct bolt-in replacement for a 350. According to Kev after he blew up his 200, there is a TV cable kit that you really should use. The overall demisions of the 200 are very close to a 350. I believe a 700R4 is a different story.

When Steve's comes back up, maybe send Kev a PM and ask him about it.

Randy (Kev beat on his 200 pretty hard too!);)

#5 ·
72GreenRally said:
Randy (Kev beat on his 200 pretty hard too!);)
Just like the rest of his drive train...BUT in all fairness I was young too 100 years ago and beat up my cars pretty hard too...so I wont pick at him too hard for having fun...at least as far as I know he only does it at the track...he's far smarter than I was at his age

#6 ·
I'm not picking on Kev. I think the way he runs his car demonstates how tough the 200 really is. The only reason he had trouble with it from what I understand is because he didn't have the TV cable kit. If he had the kit, or had the kit earlier in the transmission's life, it would probably still be living in his car today. I know he really liked the mileage he got with the 307 and the OD tranny!

Randy (being fair to Kev!);)

#7 · (Edited)
72GreenRally said:
I'm not picking on Kev. I think the way he runs his car demonstates how tough the 200 really is. The only reason he had trouble with it from what I understand is because he didn't have the TV cable kit. If he had the kit, or had the kit earlier in the transmission's life, it would probably still be living in his car today. I know he really liked the mileage he got with the 307 and the OD tranny!

Randy (being fair to Kev!);)
Sorry Randy I didnt mean to imply you were picking on him I was refering to my comments on him being hard on his car...Ya basicly if it can handle Kev thats a good endorsment...Well the MPG gallon is what is making me think of the OD tranny...the car used to get 9MPG when it was on the road before...not a biggy back then...but today gas prices are WAY higher...it would be nice to pull of more then 9MPG on the highway...the OD tranny may be a way to do it...Besides the OD trannies have a good 1st gear ratio too so that would be a plus in the acceleration department too:cool:

#12 ·
The General makes several high torque OD transmissions. I personally am running over 850 horse through my 4L80E. I wouldn't recommend it to the casual user as it weighs a bunch, and has all of the internals of the TH400 which as we all know sucks up power (parasitic drag).

The 200R4 found in Buick GN's used to be the hot ticket. Yes it can be built to put a lot of A-Body cars deep into the nines, but all of the technology that GM used to build it was applied to the 700R4. The first few iterations were weak by comparison to the 200R4 but by 1986 the General had figured out what was breaking and reinforced those parts so that by 1989 the 700R4 was better in every respect and by the time it morphed into the 4L60 it was bullet proof. The 4L60E tranny is stronger still, though you can not use one without a computer to control it all of the rotating parts found inside are backward compatible into the earlier hydraulic 700R4. The 4L60E is what is behind the 500 horse Corvette engines, which put out more stock torque and horse power than a stock Buick Turbo V-6 ever did.

If you need more than a 700R4 there is the 4L80E, and if that won't hold you the Allison six speed OD out of school busses and medium trucks bolts right up to the block, though you may need to massage the trans tunnel, and beef up your front springs to put one in. :D

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.