Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so this isn't exactly all about performance parts and making power, but anyway I have this friend and he has a 2004 Subaru WRX STi, he wanted to take me up to the track and race me with my nova. Straight line quarter mile. His car is completely stock besides a blow off valve...My nova is a mild built little small block probably making near 350 hp, it has 15x7 in front and 15x8 in back. it has a super t10 4 speed, I've never dragged on a timer before so I'm not sure whats its quarter mile time is, it has a 4.56 rear end. i just wanna know will it beat an sti, has anyone raced anything similar, or raced a nova similar to mine just to see what it will get for quarter mile time?
thanks

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
2004 Subaru WRX STi, 300HP AWD. Motor Tred... 0-60 4.87, 1/4 mile 13.23 @104mph. Based on what you stated, you probably lose.

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Blow off valve is what controls the boost pressure. Every added 15 psi of boost adds another motor. So if you had a !00 cid motor at normally aspirated and you throw a boost of 15 psi on top of that you can think of that as having a 200 cid motor. Go throw 30 psi on top and your 100 cid motor thinks it has become a 300 cid motor. So you can see how it being pure stock except for the blow off valve can have a tremendous effect on performance.

It really doesn't work that way as when you try and spin a small blower faster it adds a lot more heat, and you have to be able to effectively mix fuel with the added air as well or you have a lot of scrap metal and oil to clean up. I used to run around town with my pure stock BBC 402 (I was claiming a 305 with burned out glass packs) but the labels said 402 on the air cleaner and valve covers. They used to pick on my four door taxi cab because despite having pick-up truck mufflers on my 2-1/2 inch dual exhaust pipes it still had a rumble and a bit more than a hint of a cam.

Any way to make a long story short I used to be able to get off a light with my 2.87 ratio first gear and 4.56 rear gears in my ten bolt (Dana 60) rear end. It used to turn at least one pas of 9.39 or better before they threw me out for lack of proper safety equipment.

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/3454545/media/Car Mag Scans/ImpalaWheelie.jpg.html

Things are not always as they seem or as people will tell you come race day. My little flat hood 402 powered Impala (former cop car) had a 582 custom built engine converter etc all set up for that combination of cm and heads. Though I also had a 250 shot of nitrous plumbed under the intake manifold as well.

Big Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
He will eat you alive.
Given the facts he is substantially lighter than you and his HP to weight ratio is higher unless he flat out cannot drive the thing, you lose.
Many a strong V8 powered car have had their fanny waxed by a mildly hopped up import.
Your gonna run out of gears when he still has a couple of more shifts coming.

·
Registered
139 Posts
it it might be close the 04 had less power than claimed and 300 would be at the fly wheel. I would give it a shot! If you tree him you might have a chance!

·
Registered
139 Posts
And that's if its stock. Blow off valve is not going to add power its just going to get rid of boost and then he will have to re-spool every time he shifts

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Sorry! You are right but there is no real reason to play with the Waste Gate valve that blows off excess pressure on the exhaust side instead they modify the Blow Off valve that prevents over pressurization of the intake side (limits damage from a pressure spike as you close the intake throttle). By increasing the spring pressure and reducing by means of an orifice the size of the line that goes to the computer on a Subaru so that it isn't aware of actual manifold pressured you can greatly increase boost with stock components.

To really get more boost you super size everything (plumbing, impellers, Intake size on the scroll and throttle body as well as injector flow rate on the engine size. If it has an intercooler that has to grow in size as well. I have seen a lot of American and import motors that have gone over the edge in terms of rational thought to increase blower pressure. They were getting 60 psi of boost but they were also blowing apart V-bands right and left.

I my humble opinion if you want more boost build a 14-71 size Roots blower case only ditch the three lobe Roots style fan in favor of a four lobe Eaton style screw compressor to generate more air flow with less heat being generated. Right now you can build 65 psi with a striped 14-71 Roots blower on top of a 500 cube motor spinning at 8,600 RPM and twisting the blower to nearly 13,000 RPM (compared to the 70,000 RPM to 90,000 RPM the shaft spins to at on a turbo at full boost). The difference is that the Roots blower will draw 900 horsepower off the nose of the crank to accomplish this feat, while the turbo draws no additional horsepower from the engine. It just takes a turbo all day to spin up enough to make this boost figure; or you have to launch at full throttle by side stepping the clutch (which is hard on parts).

Big Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
He is going to hook up better than you are, he has 4 tires putting power to the ground, you have 2 with skinny tires...

I say have a go at it. If you lose, then there is always a rematch :) You could add nitrous and beat him!
There are a lot of "Ifs" in this case. If you get a good enough launch and run away with it, you will punk the Subie

Most of the 04-06 STI's had glass center and rear diffs and most owners will not launch them hard since they don't want to fork out $1500+ to fix

An 04 with bolt-ons, on a stock VF39 turbo might get 220-240whp since there is so much loss in the drivetrain

The Nova is better suited for the straight line run, and will be WAY cheaper to fix should something give up the ghost

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Take it to the track though guys! Test and tune nights allow you to "run what ya brung" so long as you don't go stupid fast; they won't throw you out. It is a lot safer and a lot cheaper than a ticket.

Big Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guy! Im gonna give it my best shot. Lebanon Valleys race season started, should have her rollin by the end of the season hopefully, ill post a video when it goes down.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Street tires are going to be your downfall. Given you have a stick and he has AWD, I'm going to say that it'll be over with by the 60' mark. His car will most likely bog because of traction and you will probably be spinning out to the 300' mark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts