Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK my nova fires up and idles no problem but after about 20 or 30 minutes of driving when I come to a stop the motor just shuts off. No warning no spitting or sputtering just dies. And then I have to wait about 20 minutes before she will start again. I have a holly 4 barrel 600cfm carb . 350 v8 bored 30 over and a hei distributor. Not sure what it is need help with this please and thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Hard to diagnose over the internet. It could be fuel or ignition related. On a newer car It would be most likely a bad EGR valve but your year didn't have one.

First place I would look is to the HEI ignition. Next time it stops on the side of the road have someone crank the ignition over for you while you hold a spark plug wire near the car body and see if you can hear or see any spark jumping to ground. If it shocks you will know you have a functioning HEI and that you need new plug wires with thicker insulation.

While it is still dead remove the air cleaner and with the ignition off look down the carb throat while you manually open up the carb by pulling back on the throttle arm. You are looking for a gush of gas out of the accelerator jets. If you get a gush of gas that means you have not run out and that there is fuel still left in the bowls. Now without looking directly into the carb try and have some one start it.

See if it is hard cranking (which could indicate your timing is off or that you have a bad starter motor).

That should give you something to do while waiting for the car to cool down again so it will start. Just don't flatten the battery trying out these tests. After all your problem could be a weak battery that is barely able to crank a cold engine but not have enough juice to fire off a hot one.

See how easy it is to determine a problem over the internet. What you want is an experienced (old) mechanic that understands carburetors and old style ignition systems standing beside you at the time you try and figure out what is going on.

Big Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.