Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Newbie here.

1970 nova 350 v8
Nova was up and running for years 20 years. Dad retired and the car sat for 7 years. Brother took out the carburetor and gas tank 3 years ago.

Fast forward to today
Installed :
new battery
gas tank
fuel lines
fuel pump
fuel filter
fuel hose
new carburetor

we added gas to the carburetor
we tried to fire her up today and just got the dreadful engine cranking but no spark and she didn’t fire up.. :(

We’re thinking it might be the spark plugs and bought a new cap/rotor / module and new wires.

Thoughts ?

lulu xo

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Points or HEI distributor??, first thing check to see if your getting power to the distributor, check your grounds.
Hi!!

Thanks for the reply.

we did check out grounds and it’s good!

we did put a spark plug on the metal engine part and nothing.

Sorry, newbie here.
what’s points ? and hei distributor?

Thanks
lulu

·
Super Moderator
7,634 Posts
Points distributor is not electronic has a small cap and adjustable points insde, HEI is electronic large cap with coil and has an electronic module, points distributor has the coil mounted outside the distributor with two wires going to it, the HEI there's only one wire going directly to the distributor unless you have a tach hooked up then there will be two wires identified on the cap, "Bat" on the right "Tach" on the left. Since your car is a 70 it would have points from the factory, but usually everybody converts to an HEI way more reliable, on the HEI check the wire on the right with the key on should have 12 volts, if not trace that wire back to the problem, on points check the wire on the + terminal on the coil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you get it started? Complete distributors are cheaper then buying it 1 component at a time. Call me & i will walk you through it & isolate the problem.. It's sounds spark related. Been wrenching for over 40 years offers there. 9149121356
Hi, Ben!

We took a break.. Still not firing up! :(
we did buy a whole kit distributor.

Thanks Ben, I’ll keep you in mind once we receive the disp. Kit.

Lulu
This ought to help. Check voltage while cranking over also.

https://www.gmcmi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/HEI-Testing.pdf
thank you
💯💯

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, Ben!

We took a break.. Still not firing up! :(
we did buy a whole kit distributor.

Thanks Ben, I’ll keep you in mind once we receive the disp. Kit.

Lulu

thank you
💯💯
Make sure to change the cap & rotor also. Check the ohms on the coil while you have it out of the cap. BTW my name is Neil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts